Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a family of Hedgehogs (Mum and 3 Hoglets) living in our garden. We first noticed Mum about 2 months ago, she seemed to be appearing at all times of day and night (Which caused us concern) We spoke to London Wildlife (not far from me) and they advised to bring her in for a check up....but after that call we didn't see her again, so couldn't grab her.... This is her....

Anyhow, she has now reappeared with 3 Hoglets following her around. The Hoglets only come out at night and as far as I can see, they look pretty healthy and are gaining weight nicely....

Mum has now been very rarely seen in daylight... but now I notice that she has quite noisy breathing when she's sniffing around for food, I'm worrying that she may have lungworm. I have spoken again with London Wildlife who have been fab and recommend bringing the whole family in together.... easier said than done though!

My problem is, when to gather them all up? I know that captivity stresses them, so if I go out tonight and get them, it means that they will be stuck in a box all night when they'd usually be hunting, until I can take them to the rescue in the morning. Do you think it'd be a really bad thing for them to spend the night like that.... or shall I get up at stupid o'clock in the morning while it's still dark and grab them then? Sorry for the Q's tonight, I didn't want to phone the wildlife place again tonight and wake some poor carer up!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I missed this, did you sort them?
Sorry Shell, I missed your reply too.

Mum and one of the hoglets seems to have disappeared, not seen her since my last post :sad: I hope they are ok and just simply moved on...
Also I've only seen 2 of the Hoglets, they are both living together in a little shelter we've made in the garden. Both look really good, they are out every night and eat up all the food we leave for them.... no sign of them during the day which is a good thing. Had a good look at both, no tics, wounds etc and think they are doing really well. As soon as I get a chance I'll weigh them, one in particular is getting really big (almost looks as big as the Mum!)

Don't think I need to worry at the moment about getting them to rescue, but will keep a close eye... I'm ordering a hedgehog house thingy at the end of the month for them, I really want to make sure they get through the winter ok :2thumb: Do you think these are a good idea?

Suz

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Sorry Shell, I missed your reply too.

Mum and one of the hoglets seems to have disappeared, not seen her since my last post :sad: I hope they are ok and just simply moved on...
Also I've only seen 2 of the Hoglets, they are both living together in a little shelter we've made in the garden. Both look really good, they are out every night and eat up all the food we leave for them.... no sign of them during the day which is a good thing. Had a good look at both, no tics, wounds etc and think they are doing really well. As soon as I get a chance I'll weigh them, one in particular is getting really big (almost looks as big as the Mum!)

Don't think I need to worry at the moment about getting them to rescue, but will keep a close eye... I'm ordering a hedgehog house thingy at the end of the month for them, I really want to make sure they get through the winter ok :2thumb: Do you think these are a good idea?

Suz

Thats great news, keep feeding them and giving water and by the time winter is here they should be big fat hogs. Dont forget to leave food out in winter too as they often wake up for a snack during the big sleep. I would make sure you have 2 houses as they wont share as they get older. Google instructions on making hedgehog houses and you can make them yourself:2thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.