Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

my name is steve, i am 16 years old and been keeping taranchulars pretty much all my life but feel like a change

i currently have a brazilian white knee, salmon pink, chili rose and paruvian bird eater

so basicly i need a few quesions answering,

1. what is a good first snake? (i would love something that would end up like 5 foot but be really tame and handable)
2. what equipment do i need?
3. what is a good size viv? would wood do the job?

also i am hoping to have this for my chrimbo pressie so idealy it shouldnt cost more than 130 for eaverything

also has anyone got any links or the such i can read up alittle more on please?

thanks in advance

steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn Utopia on the Web/- CARE SHEET Cornutopia corn snakes cornsnakes.htm

corn snakes are a great starter... and this care sheet posted by forum member "greenphase" is a really informative and useful resourse. There are quite a few good care sheets kicking about the net. Most can be found in the care sheet section but google will find the rest.

personally i think corns are a great snake... generally easy to keep, good feeders, easily tamed, active and easily handled.
Good luck in your new venture... and keep us informed :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
you cant go wrong with corns, they get to about 5 foot, viv size about 3 1/2 foot by 1 1/2 foot, if you get a hatchling you will need a smaller one to begin with, wooden vivs are perfect with glass sliding doors, I use a heat bulb with a dimming thermostat and timer, and a heat mat for nighttime, obviously they need a water bowl, it can be big enough for the snake to soak in but not deep enough to drown in, they will need a hide at cool and warm end, put heaters all at one end to get a thermal gradient of 75-85 F and a basking spot slightly higher, you can put in some climbing branches if you want to.
Oh and :welcome:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Im not even going to go there....

Get a corn...Tis what everyone will recommend! They are great, just not my cuppa tea lol :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks people

those corn snakes look ace, how much are they average?(in uk money)

couple of questions agian lol

do snakes need uv light?

thanks in advance and keep the help coming

steve

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No, snakes don't need UV.
For a corn you'd need a viv about 36x18x18 minimum when adult, but if you get a hatchling then it's best to start them off in a faunarium or similar container.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
snakes dont need uv, corns vary in price, shops are dearer than breeders, look in the classified section of the forum, there's usually some in there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one last question for now lol, just wanna get it right

could i keep 2 corns together say if i got two the same size. male and female say?

thanks

steve

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they go from 10 quid mate.
i have some now at 15, can courier but might not be worth it for you.. someone local to you will have some i bet

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
here we go again! keep snakes seperate, they eat each other!! and if one gets ill it can pass it on to the other one, and if one regurgitates food you wont know which one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here we go again! keep snakes seperate, they eat each other!! and if one gets ill it can pass it on to the other one, and if one regurgitates food you wont know which one.
i did say i was a noob, but i can see what your saying

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
steveH said:
i did say i was a noob, but i can see what your saying
Yeah you did say you was a noob and I think the 'here we go again' comment was somewhat uncalled for. We all have our own personal experiences and certain things annoy us but when someone says from the start that they have no experience with snakes then can't we just help them without patronising? The reasons given for not keeping snakes together are very valid but I dont think we need 'here we go again'. It even says in the title that it is a newbie looking for advice! How to put someone off the forum before they even begin and even how to possibly put someone off keeping snakes altogether if that is the response they get! If I am wrong and anyone wants to have a pop then please feel free to PM me so that we can leave this thread for Steveh to ask his questions and get his answers.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well, its one of those things that you dont really care about until it happens to you.
it hasnt happened to me myself, but i reduce the chances of this by not often putting them together.
i'll be honest, i dont do it so that they dont eat each other, i do it seperately so i can keep accurate accounts of feeds, sheds, illness, regurge etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with everyone else Corn snakes are the best for your first snake, I have a corn snake and she is fairly easy to look after and easy to handle. Although make sure the vivarium you buy is secure as they are great escape artists.

Edit: Spelling

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I agree Mr Cornmorphs, most don't care until it happens to them but steveh has taken the time to ask and it would be nice if everyone could answer as nicely as you just have without the sarcasm! Oh well, we are all different I suppose!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well after reading the comments again, it kinda does sound bad lol..
at the end of the day, its just safety thats all..
and it makes sense to keep records.. do you not keep records then mark?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah corns are nice snakes to have as a starter snake, they are easy to keep and feed.

We were going to go for a ball python but chose a corn instead as they are more active when handled.

A ball python is slower and will stay still while you do things, it may be fussier to feed then a corn.

A corn is easy to feed and won’t stay still as much as a ball python. There are also tons of morphs of different colours and pattern variations, such as motley and striped. Look in my sig the one on the right is my baby butter and the other is an almost adult normal. :D

Depends on what you think you might want in a snake and how much you wish to get into it. If you read up on ball pythons you may want one of them :)

Their are also king snakes but I’m not sure about them, some people say they are aggressive but I haven’t ever had that problem with the ones I have handled I would say I have handled more aggressive corns then kings lol but that’s just me. I'm sure someone on here can say otherwise.

Milk snakes are nice too :D and eh... bullsnakes but they get bigger (6 - 9 feet) I just like those myself.

Have fun researching :D

Nice one hammer man :D We all have to learn somehow!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good call Steve, ask these guys on here for advice I tell you I'm a noob too (Spiders all the way for us) when I got my snakes about 6 weeks ago they have given me sound advice, Cornmorphs was brilliant when I was panicing about feeding. Good on you asking questions first and keep asking untill you are sure I have had to and believe me Hun some of my questions have been laughable. I have a Corn & a Grey Rat & both are wonderful, but as a starter I would say Corn.
Hmmmm by the way and a bit off subject any chance of a look at your white knee & Peruvian, we have a white knee but its only a sling and we have the Goliath which too is a baby, and I :flrt: looking at spider pics :flrt:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they go from 10 quid mate.
i have some now at 15, can courier but might not be worth it for you.. someone local to you will have some i bet
im a little limited on transport so if i can not find anyone local i will be contacting you

and thanks to everyone that has helped me out so far, no doubt i will have some more questions tho lol

bye for now

steve

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no probs steve, good luck with that mate

1 - 20 of 23 Posts