1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
What species are you refering too?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I can honestly say I have never owned an animal that has died BECAUSE it was WC. This is a rather strange question? I deal with a lot of WC animals in the shop. The biggest problems are usually dehydration, high stress levels, high parasite loads (compounded by the high stress levels) and animals usually come in quite cold. In most cases the correct husbandry will rectify these problems. People who are inexperienced with reptiles do not usually understand the acclimatising process that is needed to establish WC animals and so many of them will end up in poor a condition. Having said that I have seen people take home perfectly healthy CBB animals and come back a week later with them dead!

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course it wouldnt die because it was wild, but rather because it has been taken out of its natural habitat and is more than likely to find it hard to acclimatise...and as you say it takes a lot of knowledge to keep these animals healthy sometimes...

but as with many poor reptile shops...they have wc's that are in TERRIBLE condition...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just realised I got my fan footed gecko from your shop
Your got you fan footed gecko from us and you live in Hackney?

I would agree that a lot of shops do not set up there WC animals as they should. This is normally for two reasons: They don’t know or they don’t care.

We make sure that all of the animals we get in are eating and healthy. If we are having problems with any we will hold them back and get them well started before we sell them.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i have 5 WC animals. 2 rescued, and 3 free from here cos someone didnt want them- i wouldnt go an buy wild caugth ones though-problems..
worms
no tails,
missing toes etc etc..

apart from that - lovely!!!

fussy eaters too...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that most people do not know what is WC and what is not! I have both WC and CBB animals. My first choice is always CBB but some things are just not available as there are no breeders!

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i got 3 fan footeds and tow berbers - they were in an AWFUL state - better now!!
I think the biggest problem is that most people do not know what is WC and what is not! I have both WC and CBB animals. My first choice is always CBB but some things are just not available as there are no breeders!

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i have no issues with wild caughts. but as ric_a. said, at the shops i worked at, so much stuff would come in that was in horrible condition. here in the colonies:grin1:, we aren't as anti-WC as other places. here you have to buy wc's many times in order to stay competitive. it's kinda criminal what often happens to wc's. a otherwise healthy animal can handle a little parasite load. most everything in the wild has parasites and live long healthy lives. almost all parasites do little or no harm to their hosts. how would that be good for the parasite? sickening and/or killing your meal ticket is suicide. problems start when an animal becomes weakened by things like starvation, dehydration or reinfestation because of cramped and unsanitary conditions. these problems land smack dab in the lap of the poor retailer. when i ordered say, a batch of senegal chameleons for one of my suppliers, 4 out of 5 times roughly, they would come in just fine and thrive during acclamation. but that 1 time out of 5 the order would have p*ss poor animals. more dead than alive. retailers are stuck, at least here with the task of nursing them back to health. at least where i worked. now less humane retailers would send them back for a refund and chew out the sales person. i never did because i knew that that would be a definate death sentence for the animals in question. oh, i would still b*tch out the rep. and threaten to drop him if it ever happened again. at least here in the states, sadly it's always a chain of events that cause this situation. firstly, unless the animals are big ticket items, everybody orders them.... should i continue? or will that be hijacking?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Scarly enought most of my collection are WC, thats all of my stenos and my frogs. With both my first 3 stenos and the frogs being fresh WC's. I've only really lost one to being Wc in the sence u mean as it didnt accumate well IMO and never took to eating without assist feeding.

Jay

1 - 20 of 27 Posts