Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to report a snake bite as it seems there’s not much information over this particular species and I Couldn’t seem to find any forum in particular that had bite reports for venomous reptiles so I figured this would be the best place. If there is a particular one or even another website, please redirect me.

I got bitten today (January 27, 2021) by a Red Beaked Snake (Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus) at around 3:45 on my left wrist. First second had minor pain caused from the snake’s bite pressure, the pain immediately intensified after about two seconds. The snake remain latched on for approximately 45-60 seconds. Swelling and redness happened within 10 minutes. Pain slightly intensifies by 4:00 and remains stable until 5:00. Swelling progressively getting worse. By 5:00 pain begins to intensify greatly but most redness seems to go away. Pain begins to travel down my arm. 6:00 wrist hurts a lot, swelling makes it difficult and painful to move. By 7:00 I had to sit down as it was difficult to work or focus due to the pain. 7:30 Drank some painkillers (Alieve) to help with the pain. 9:30 Pain starts to decrease, swelling and difficulty moving remains the same.
I will update as the days go.

This happened as I work at a pet store and my manager had received some reptiles and required me to house them in appropriate caging. I have previously never heard of a Red Beaked Snake and I completely underestimated the fact that it was possibly venomous, I assumed my manager would not order something venomous (even if Google claims it to be mild). As I handle it, shortly after it starts crawling through my hand it decided to bite. I was not worried as I assumed it was completely harmless. Lesson learned, never handle a snake you’re not familiar with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even if it did, considering how frequently non-pit bulls are deemed as such (boxers, bull dogs, etc), the complete accuracy of the data is questionable.
Why would I make this up? I noticed after getting bitten there was hardly any information on envenomation from this particular species so I figured I should write down what I’m feeling. This happened to be the first forum/website I came across so In a hurry I wrote down what I had felt.

Also, I noticed I didn’t finish what happened. By the next morning the pain had almost completely went away, however the swelling remained and I had limited movement over my wrist. As the days passed, the swelling went away little by little, after about 2 weeks all effects had completely gone.

Excuse the blurry picture of the snake, it is a screenshot of a video I have taken on my iPhone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts