Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could people list different lizards and whats the worst they could do to you with regards to biting ie nip, draw blood, rip whole hand off etc.

it doesn't matter what lizard just as many as you can name and what damage they can inflict.

just as a point of reference for the future

thank you

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
there are nearly 5000 speices of know lizard, and the bite would range from jaws not big enough to bite, to
Komodo Dragon - Mauled to death?
komodos usually bite, and wait for the spit to kill tho :p

·
Registered
641 Posts
dtaylor21184 said:
ok then :roll:
Is true though! :p

What exactly do you mean, something more like..?

Leopard Gecko - Nip
Bosc - Bite, scratch and tail whip
Crested Gecko - Nip
Tegu - Bite, scratch and tail whip
Fat Tailed Gecko - Nip
Iguana - Bite, scratch and tail whip
Day Gecko - Nip

You should be able to tell what risks the lizard could pose to you by just at it 8)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah along those lines. i know it won't be completely accurate but it gives me a rough idea. like a leopard gecko isn't gonna take your finger off and the worse its probably gonna do is draw a small amount of blood but that doesn't mean that there going to.

not sure i explained that very clearly

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i know :D dunno if you saw it, but when steve irwin went there, all they did was chash him up u tree, then tail whip, left cuts and bruses tho. they got babies in london zoo aswell, 4 the result of parthalogenisis...and one from a sexual relationship.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
basically look at the size, and diet. insectavores tend to have shapr teeth, so they can cut, but some have boney jaws, that crush. herbavores have grindy teeth that wouldnt really draw blood, but would leave a nice bruse. the only exeptions to this really are beaded lizards, and the gala monster, which are venomous, and a bite from one of them would cain.

if a lizard does draw blood i would be more worried about infection, the bite-at worse- is a gash, and painful cut, but the infection can be really bad.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I saw the baby komodos a while back when they were quite small, should really go and visit them again. I know one of the keepers there and he says the rate they grow at is incredible... I have a mate at Chester Zoo as well who works with the Komodos there, he's being doing stick training with them and is getting sent to a breeding facility abroad to learn a bit more about them. Lucky so and so!

Hopefully next year I'll be able to do something similar, just need to save up first :roll:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
one of the reptile keepers at australia zoo cuddles the komodos :) i want a cuddly komodo :D

i got bit off my bosc through my jumper and u could still see the bite marks and bruising. was pretty painful even through a jumper.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i got a bite off a baby water monitor on friday. hurt like ****. he latched onto my finger, couldnt get him off. he kept varyng the pressure, finger bled like a bastard, knuckle swelled up instantly. couldnt get the little swine off, tried pulling gently, tried pouring cold water on his head. in the end i ran through the house with him attached to my finger and blasted his head with the cold tap over the bath.

hurt very much. wouldnt like to get bit by an adult

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
they are kind of like blades rather than teeth. I was lucky don bit me through my jumper and I totally agree with the person bit by the monitor, the pressure is probably the worst element of the bite. I fortunately wasnt bit on the finger aswell but on the top of my arm where its quite meaty.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
as that article says, varies in monitors.

interesting article that ive never come across before. thanks for sharing. I did come across a picture of quite a bloody bite before but i havent been able to find it since.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts