Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just reading some previous threads on king snakes as ive decided i would like to add one to our clan, this being are first snake, im slightly concerned as a few people have said they are quite bitey!, to me i dont mind but this is to be a family pet for me and my 4 year old son who is going to want contact with are new snake, we have a bearded dragon who can be feisty if she is that way out she bit me several times in her youth! but my son loves her to bits she sits on his knee and he likes to pet her, but it took me being bitten several times to get her to tame down before he could do this with her..is this the kind of thing im going to have with a king snake? is the bitey thing just something they go through? im really confussed now thought i had decided on the right snake but now have doubts!!!
help..
-lisa

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Well, most are nippy as youngsters, but this is the same with most young snakes of any species. But like in all snake species some can be terribyl bitey and some can be soft as sh!t, but from waht i heard a majority are bitey, but ive neevr kept them.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
in my experience,King snakes can be quite random in their behaviour,we had a desert king that was as mental as anything,bit everytime,have had others that never bit at all,but most have been the type that bite every now and then for no apparent reason,no strike,just suddenly lock on during handling.The problem arrises in getting them off again! They hold on tight and it can be very difficult to get them to let go.I have personally held a california king snakes head under water for nearly 15 minutes before he decided to let go,and Ian.G on this forum had a Mexican black king on his hand for a good 20 mins no matter what he tried.
In a nutshell if a young un is to interact I have to say the best bet is the good old,reliable corn snake.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Your probably talking about me because i said they have a reputation for being 'bitey'. All i meant by that was that they have a tendency to bite more than Corns on a whole, but of course every snake is an individual!:no1:

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I have a young tarahumara mountain king, who has never shown any aggresion but is a bit nervous, and I have an adult mexican black kingsnake that is nuts and cannot be got out of his viv without a hook, well he can if you dont mind getting bitten.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
We have 6 Kings and 4 are bitey and 2 aren't, all adult snakes, our banded and male knoblochi are okay, the others are not :smile:

My 5 year old son has an adult Mexi black kingsnake in his room (in a well locked viv) and he is real bad, if you wanna snake for your son then i'd recommend a royal, here is my son with one of our males then a pic of my wife and 17 month-old daughter with him.

As you can see my daughter is amazed by snakes, and to our son they are part of daily life like having a dog or a cat :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for the info think maybe there not the snake for us....mmmmm back to square one...what snake to get?? a few people now have said to go for a royal ther are very attractive, its just the eating issues thats been mentioned that im not sure about..what do you all suggest??
thanks
-lisa

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Go for an established royal, get an cb06 and you should be fine :smile:

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
I have been bitten by Aligator snapper, Lance-head dwarf viper, dog, cat, mouse, beard dragon, brue tongue skink, birds, girls, whitelipped python, children's python, Timor python, japanese rat snake, japanese pond turtle, pine snake, ball python, hoggnoed snake and king snakes.

I recommend you to get bite, then you will learn something.
I don't think snakes learn something from their bite to human. They continue to bite. King snakes are always hungry animal.
They can't distinguish between their preys and the keepers.
If you put the scent of mouse on a cockroach, they will eat it. lol
They will bite your finger, shoulder, neck, hip, lip etc if they are hungry. they continue to try to swallow it. they think they can swallow you. lol

But it doen't hurt very much. Babies and young king snakes tend to bite more than the adult. Adult will be tamed.

One thing how to hold them is when you touch them, you touch without hesitate. it's quite difficult to explain but Just hold the body quickly.
They don't like something approach slowly, it meeans the enemy or the prey to them.

Get bite and get experience!
But never get bite by venomies.
Also some WC snakes got some bad bacteria. You might get some swelling.

Finally, The most painful bite in my life was brue tongue skink and snapper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow they are fab pictures!!! cheers for the info will do more reashearch, i love the royals they where my first choice until someone said they can be problem eaters...will definattley go for a older one..
many thanks
-lisa
: victory:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have 6 Kings and 4 are bitey and 2 aren't, all adult snakes, our banded and male knoblochi are okay, the others are not :smile:

My 5 year old son has an adult Mexi black kingsnake in his room (in a well locked viv) and he is real bad, if you wanna snake for your son then i'd recommend a royal, here is my son with one of our males then a pic of my wife and 17 month-old daughter with him.

As you can see my daughter is amazed by snakes, and to our son they are part of daily life like having a dog or a cat :)
Lovely pics and nice to see the Children ate ease with your snakes , Very nice indeed....: victory:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dumb question but what does the cb stand for i gather the 06 is the year of hatch.. sorry for dumb question but if you dont ask you dont know!!
-lisa

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
cb..captive bred
fh..farm hatched
wc..wild caught or a toilet.

·
Registered
933 Posts
personally I'd take a king over a royal anyday.

For one thing I think that kings have much more personality and the other is that I don't believe that kings are aggressive at all.

Yes they do have a food response and yes they can be viv defensive, but with just a little confidence and actually watching your snake and learning about it then you will have a dog tame one.

Even my floridas that no one else will go near as they are very nervous, they can be striking at you, all you do is simply reach out and pick them up..... no special hold at all.... and funnily enough no bite at all.

Now royals, well some can be bad feeders, and some are vicious nasty sods, my local shop has one that will come out ok then full launch into your face.

If you like a king snake then go to your local shop and handle one. They are NOT bitey, you just need to understand them, like you need to understand any pet. Just go ahead and get one.

Anyone who is local to me or comes to my friends shop then let me know and I will bring my kings along so people can see what they are like.

Mike

DON'T get a corn or royal just because everyone tells you to, in the US kings are as popular as corns, in this country cause no one wants to learn then they get a bad name and half of people won't go near them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts