Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spike is off his food, totally ignored his greens and meal worms and even his favourite locusts this morning. We have just gotten home from a couple of hours shopping, and he is sat on his bark which goes half way up the cold end wall, his beard is black, but he is not displaying. HE is also very dark, which i am lead to believe means he is cold.
We are relatively new to this, so there is probably a simple explanation, But spike is behaving strangely for now.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
What are his temperatures like?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Is the basking spot the highest point in the viv? Beardies seem to instinctively climb to the highest point in the viv as logically that is the point closest the Sun. He could be confused ;)
Has anything different happened today that may have stressed him out a bit?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes

Yes mate, strangely enough he has just climbed down and done a glass dance, i have fed him 4 locusts of which he has nailed 2, he seems more alert all of a sudden. He still seems very lethargic

·
Registered
792 Posts
Funny you should say this but today our 9 month old beardy (female) started going through a second phase of looking ill like this. Her beard turns very dark, she doesn't move, sleeps all day, ignores her locusts (which she relishes normally) and even turned down her piece of banana (which she goes nuts for as a weekly treat). She has also pooed in her viv (where she was laying because she could not be bothered to move), which she never does and normally saves it until we take her on her daily consitutional to the bathroom sink. Lastly, I have only ever seen her drink twice in all the time we have had her. The first was the last time she went like this (about three months ago) and today, when i dripped water on her head and she lapped it up as it fell over her nose. She even lapped up the puddle it made in front of her.

Now, the common denominator in all this is that, both last time and this, her throat and beard area look like they are about to shed. She puffs up her beard and even sleeps with it slightly puffed. So she could probably be mighty uncomfortable and a little down in the dumps. Last time it lasted about 48 hours then she was back to normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
locusts

He seems better this morning, but still not totally himself. He nailed 1 locusts and 1 meal worm. He seems to have eaten some of his veg over night. and spent an hour out of his viv, and had his first real bath, under our care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.