Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has probably been done a thousand times but i`m just curious to every ones preference on crickets, and are there any significant differences between black and brown crickets ?
reason i ask is i`m picking up my new beardies either tonight or tomorrow and was just wondering what sort of cricket to get .

oh and where`s the best place to buy them online ?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well ive been having problems with my brown crickets being mostly dead the past 2 weeks in the sacks i pick up so i bought a tub of black and not one was dead. Im picking up a sack of blacks today so im hoping they survive the same as the ones in the tubs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Blacks are slower and "meatier" (is that a word?!), Browns are more agile. Provided they are gutloaded they will offer similar nutritional value. Some reports have suggested blacks are more aggressive than browns and as such pose a greater risk to hatchling lizards. Having said that, if you keep an eye on them at dinner time and remove uneaten crix then you shouldn't have any problems whichever you choose.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
browns tend to be better for aboreal lizards as they climb better. but not really had a problem with blacks myself :smile: all my lizards come down to eat anyway :smile:

shudder....i hate browns :sick:

·
Registered
846 Posts
i always buy blacks they seem to last a lot longer
as for buying online i use Livefood UK never had a prob with delivery

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I was just talking about this to the girl i got my beardie from -

My bearie doent seem to like blacks and avoin#ds them if given a choice -he easily now polishes off brown crickets - guess every lizard is different though - try both?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
blacks although slighty more aggresive they last longer and slower to move the only great thing about browns is you can get silent browns and thats fantastic especially when you have a escaped noisy black one.:mf_dribble:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Blacks seam to be a little more chunky than brown and I think they are easier to keep and smell less as well.....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I prefer blacks, meatier and far far far less escapees!!

Silents aren't always bloomin silent, trust me! lol

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well ive just brought home my sack of 500 blacks and not one was dead and none escaped either while they was being tipped into the box. unlike the browns which arrive half dead recently and the ones that are alive jump all over the place and run away.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use blacks. Definitely meatier, slower than browns who jump like bloody locusts :bash: ! Blacks smell a bit more than browns but if you clean them out regularly their not too bad.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
i dont like blacks lol i think there horrible to pick up

blacks are bulkier
browns are annoying and jumpy

·
Registered
368 Posts
i prefer silent blacks, much juicier for my bd, slower and they stink less. i hate browns, they jump way to high for their own good!

·
Registered
336 Posts
i use silent browns, not had any probs with any being dead from any company except one when i have ordered in the past.

Having blacks made my house sound like a horror movie in the dark with the bloody chiirping! had some browns from a local pet/reptile store that were like that too.

its already been said but as long as they have been gut loaded they are fairly similar in value and its just down to your scaly what they like to eat i suppose.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
I think its an absolute myth that blacks are more aggressive than browns. They both bite, they both should be removed completely from the vivariums after feeding and they shouldnt be left in at night.

One cricket was left in one night with spindle the beardie after squeezing into his cork bark and he had to have a £100 operation to have his leg removed after we found him in the morning with it hanging off after a brown cricket bite. Dont be fooled by people saying browns dont bite and arent as bad as blacks. They ALL bite and they all cause damage.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well ive had my black crickets 4 days now and only found 1 dead. The smell is no where near as bad to what the browns smell like either. None have escaped apart from the ones that have dropped off the egg carton which i managed to catch anyway and put back.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
*whisper* thats what she thinks but i lost one today :Na_Na_Na_Na: *whisper*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts