Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I purchased a juvenile black roughneck monitor about a month or so ago. The monitor was very friendly and active in the store and had a good weight. I built an enclosure that's 2 m x 1+ m x 2.2 m (WxDxH) with a basking shelf (about 54 degrees), UV light, misting system and places to hide. The monitor ate crickets and dubia roaches at first, but after a couple of weeks stopped eating and lost weight. We brought him back to the reptile store and they kept him for a week in a 280 ltr glass enclosure and he ate reasonably well. The first day, the monitor ate 4 live mice and was eating about one every other day. We setup a similar sized enclosure at home as in the store, but the monitor hasn't eaten anything. I put in a live mouse and have tried chicken livers, raw eggs and dubia roaches, but to no avail. The store is saying to give the monitor another couple of days and if he doesn't eat, I can bring him in and the store will force feed him. I don't want to keep bringing the poor guy back and forth and I'm concerned there's something in our house (we have five cats, four snakes and six other lizards) that's upsetting him.

Please, I'm open to suggestions. I don't want anything to happen to our little guy. We like him and our child loves him. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

Monitors can take a while to settle in to a new environment. Taking it backwards and forwards to the shop will only make things worse. Don’t try handling the monitor let it settle in, get it used to you from doing daily water changes etc.
I have no idea why you would be offering live mice??! There is absolutely no need. Monitors will eat pretty much anything wether it moves or not!
Offer the food and leave it be, young monitors are generally quite shy especially when young so offering the food and walking away will improve chances of it eating. Slowly but surely you will be able to offer food via tongs and this building trust with your monitor. Patience is key...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, M4NIT4R1. Unfortunately, the monitor did not make it. In talking with the manager of the establishment, it came out that the monitor was not eating when I brought him back for the week of boarding, yet every time I called I was told he was doing well and thriving. Then the owner tells me the monitor was not captive bred, but either captive born or farm born. This was after we were told it was captive bred when we first inquired about the monitor and purchased him.

I'm having my credit card company go after him as a fraud case. I'm not sure if it'll do anything, but I've spent tons of money on a custom enclosure that's in the room adjacent to my child's bedroom. We have to keep the door closed because they start crying every time they see it. I'm never buying from that place again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts