Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im scheduled for visit in vet tomorrow but i have no confidence in vet where i live now therefore my questions. please answer only if came across this situation. i have jungle python for three three years now. she never been sick or anything like that. non of mine snakes have been. to the chase thou.
about week ago i have noticed quite seizable blister on her neck. at first i thought I was result of burn. kinda human thing when fluid gather under skin when you burn yourselves. but after couple days it was all over the place. i would say they appear on half section in the middle of the snake along spine. this is where im getting puzzled. she is being kept in around 30% humidity in clean viv on newspapers. i would appreciate answers from your own experience. im worried as hell.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
photos would be a great help

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aint got any. but there was no discolouration on scales or any indication of any sort of skin deterioration. just bulge with watery fluid in it. shes in shed and it looks like 'waterish' fluid is between old and new skin.
edit. btw its all along spine.

·
Registered
938 Posts
my dads royal had this sort of thing but it was around the middle of the body and tail. It looked like there were blisters on the underside of the snake so he took it the vets and they gave it injections each time he went and a daily treatment of this cream, i dont know the name of it but i could check also he had a bottle of iodine a think which he mixed with the cream i am not sure on that one though. Also he put the snake in the bath when shedding as it didn't shed properly. after a while though it was all cured and now he is fine, hope this helps and i hope your snake gets better : victory:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
aint got any. but there was no discolouration on scales or any indication of any sort of skin deterioration. just bulge with watery fluid in it. shes in shed and it looks like 'waterish' fluid is between old and new skin.
edit. btw its all along spine.

i understand that but the patten of them and the look of them can help us abit....normally water blisters do clear up on there own in dry environments with the temps turned up

how are you measuring the humidity

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know the name of it but i could check also he had a bottle of iodine a think which he mixed with the cream i am not sure on that one though.
she has it on the other side but please do.
Also he put the snake in the bath when shedding as it didn't shed properly. after a while though it was all cured and now he is fine, hope this helps and i hope your snake gets better : victory:
i'm glad to hear that and i hope enta will get better too.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand that but the patten of them and the look of them can help us abit....normally water blisters do clear up on there own in dry environments with the temps turned up
how are you measuring the humidity
they did developed in low humidity enviroment. please if you have never seen it don't reply to this. thank you for the help but it doesn't bring us to any conclusion. don't get me wrong but if you havent seen snake with blisters along the spine, please do not respond to this.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
they did developed in low humidity enviroment. please if you have never seen it don't reply to this. thank you for the help but it doesn't bring us to any conclusion. don't get me wrong but if you havent seen snake with blisters along the spine, please do not respond to this.

wow.....lol

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
this is serous. i don't have access to proper vet. please refrain yourselves from comments like that. i'm trying to save her.
you may want to wind your neck in a tad
Wildlifewarrior probably knows more than a lot us put together
His questions are not to annoy you but to establish circumstances and possible treatment

There isnt many things he hasnt seen

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you dont have access to a proper vet how are you going to get any medication for your snake?
again.please respond only if you came across this. to answer your question there is a vet in berlin. its about 300 km from the place i live. i will take her to him but it will be in 2 weeks time. apparently there is something wrong with viv or something else and its not temps nor humidity.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you may want to wind your neck in a tad
Wildlifewarrior probably knows more than a lot us put together
His questions are not to annoy you but to establish circumstances and possible treatment

There isnt many things he hasnt seen
and i do appreciate his input but if he is asking for pictures it means that he never came across this problem. therefore my answer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
again.please respond only if you came across this. to answer your question there is a vet in berlin. its about 300 km from the place i live. i will take her to him but it will be in 2 weeks time. apparently there is something wrong with viv or something else and its not temps nor humidity.
I have come across something very similar which also maybe the same as you snakes illness so my knowledge could help you and all i am trying to do is help

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
and i do appreciate his input but if he is asking for pictures it means that he never came across this problem. therefore my answer.
then again it could mean he would like to confirm what it may be but can't do without visual evidence? descriptions can only get us so far. . .

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
He's asking for pictures because he's come across a variety of blister type skin conditions.

They sound very alike when described...but there are subtle difference to the trained eye which could tell them apart from ''blister disease'' to something like parasites under the skin.

Which is exactly why he is asking. NOT because he's clueless and not seen it before, but because he needs to see exactly what the blisters look like.

Although to be frank you'd be lucky to get any help from him at all now after the last few posts.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have come across something very similar which also maybe the same as you snakes illness so my knowledge could help you and all i am trying to do is help
this is why i aked to to check with your da.
'i dont know the name of it but i could check '
please do .

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
no it doesnt
hes trying to get a better idea of what your dealing with
a description can be hard to diagnose
he may interpret it as something dofferent and give the wrong advice for the ailment if you see what I mean? : victory:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've never had your type of python but I have seen blister disease in a number of colubrid snakes, like garters and corns, plus at least one rattlesnake.

A variety of opportunistic pathogens cause blister disease. They can produce blisters anywhere on the snake's head, body, or tail, though low on the sides seems to be the most common. Letting the problem go untreated in hopes it will go away by itself is a bad idea. Longterm cases require injected antibiotics for treatment and can cause death.

My first guess is that the temperature is too low. That can depress the immune response. Raising the temperature is helpful in treating most herp diseases. If the snake is being sprayed with water, I would quit doing it.

Ive used Betadine first aid cream to treat the problem. It's available over the counter from most of the drug stores in my side of the pond. The active ingredient is providone (spelling?) iodine. Cover the blistered areas and repeat daily. The blisters will shed off, but it is important to continue the treatment for a couple of days after the shed. Otherwise the problem will come back worse.

If you look at the blister disease sticky in this forum, you will see that Betadine solution is among the treatments of choice. I prefer the cream because it's easier to apply and the snake cannot drink it.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: I am not a veterinarian, just an experienced snake keeper.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He's asking for pictures because he's come across a variety of blister type skin conditions.

They sound very alike when described...but there are subtle difference to the trained eye which could tell them apart from ''blister disease'' to something like parasites under the skin.

Which is exactly why he is asking. NOT because he's clueless and not seen it before, but because he needs to see exactly what the blisters look like.

Although to be frank you'd be lucky to get any help from him at all now after the last few posts.
please don't get me wrong. but there is no way if anybody can determine if it originated from a fungal, bacterial or viral infection. my question is IF SOMEBODY CAME ACROSS IT?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.