Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blisters Disease- Definition
To start with I'll explain what vesicular dermatitis (or Blisters Disease) Is, it is blisters on the skin caused mainly by damp and /or unclean conditions, it is more common in snakes as obviously more of the time their belly touches the ground.
Symptoms
It will start out as slight inflation of almost always the 'belly' scales and will continue to inflate whilst spreading along the body, it is most dangerous towards the mouth or cloaca (Vent or anus). In more extreme cases (As this was with Isis) blood spots develop under the scales these can be fevering and also pain spots, this disease is incredibly painful. These blisters will eventually burst, whether due to roughness against them or them growing bigger when these burst the risk of septicemia is very high, septicemia is poisoning of the blood. In larger reptiles it may take a while to kill them, but in smaller reptiles they can be dead in weeks, even days.
Treatment
The treatment is usually An injection or sometimes oral medication, e.g. baytril, combined with cleaning the tank and snake daily. But as soon as you suspect this disease veterinary treatment must be immediately seeked, it can very easily be fatal.
Prevention
Of course the best thing to do is to prevent it. This can be done by always making sure you clean the tank well, and not just with water, Vetcleanse is highly recommended, check your snakes frequently this disease sets in very quickly.
Isis's Progress
Isis my 08 royal python was the one to suffer this disease.
In 3 Days Isis went form normal, to this:

As you can see he pink patches are fevering, and you can see the blisters, I called the vet the next morning and had an appointment the next day, when i got there he said id caught it just in time and survival was uncertain.

10 days after my appointment with the treatment, the blisters had burst naturally but because of the treatment the scales were still intact,and they were healing:

Your can see the brown skin is flat, and the blisters are not forming.

Yesterday she finished shedding, and the skin is thicker at the disease point, but not infected the scales are slightly damaged and pink, but she is almost totally better. Just aesthetics really.(Im sorry the pics not great) By the way that is shed on Isis in the top right ive got it off now.

It took a bit of typing, but im quite proud as all of that came from my knowledge, i hope it helps you all!

Miranda.

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Glad to see she has responded well to treatment Miranda, you're a credit to the younger herper, well done :notworthy:

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou all!
And to royalnking I especially want to encourage people to always seek the vets, self medicating is ridiculous in that kind of situation!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Very interesting! Sticky please!

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Thankyou all!
And to royalnking I especially want to encourage people to always seek the vets, self medicating is ridiculous in that kind of situation!
I definitely agree, complications like retained shed or non feeding can be sorted out most of the time over the internet but veterinary treatment for medical conditions can't (unless you have had experience of it and have the medications on hand)

this thread should definitely be stickied

·
Registered
38,264 Posts
very concise and well written it would indeed make a good sticky :)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
This is exactly the reason why I get SO worked up when people continuously tell other to ''whack the humidity levels in the viv/tub right up''when their snake has an R.I.

Yes...high humidity loosens the mucus in the airway of a snake, and helps to ease the symptoms of an R.I, as snakes cannot cough. But if you ask me it is immensely dangerous giving out advice like this.

By all means nebulise snakes, but whacking the humidity levels right up is really irresponsible in my opinion. Nebulising is one thing...allowing the snake to live/sit in potentially damp conditions is just asking for trouble.

I've had 2 snakes with blister disease. One was a young snake I bought from a reputable shop...and only noticed once I got it home, that it had a few blisters on it. The second was my gorgeous adult burmese. She knocked her water bowl over twice in the space of a week or so, and was left sat on wet paper for a few hours on each occasion, before we noticed (either woke up or got home from being out). She had quite a number of blisters, which I treated appropriately. All cleared up fairly rapidly and the scars shed out mostly.

It's a horrific disease...which people need to understand how easily it can be bought on.

As always, you should never clean the viv out with just water. You wouldn't clean your dirty clothing or dishes with just water...so why clean out a snakes viv where excrement has been, with just water.

Traditionally, blister disease is linked to dirty, unsanitary living conditions...but it is just as easily bought on by high humidity, and wet conditions...even over a matter of hours. It's just not worth the risk.

Good thread :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Sticky this, better pictures and description than some books. Thanks alot for this.

We should compile a snake disease list with symptoms, photos etc.

·
Banned
1,814 Posts
What a great thread Miranda, and so well presented. Well done sweetheart. :no1::2thumb:

Your parents should feel really proud of you, and I just bet they do. :)

It's great to know that Isis is well on the mend too, thanks to your dedication. :2thumb:

I do hope that this is made into a sticky, as...............

1) It is worthy of it.

2) It is a very usual informative piece of work.

3) It's easy to follow and understand.

4) The presentation is professional, and all this from one your age, is fantastic, and hopefully an inspiration to other younger members on here. Feel proud young Lady. Very proud.

Mo. :notworthy::no1:

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou everyone! It was alot of work and consumed alot of time. But it was worth it, thanks for the comments on the thread it took alot of time but i noticed that when i was searching the internet i could find hardly any info even though it is so common! so i thought a good thread was vital. And pied_pythons and mo especially comments form people with your experience are greatly apreciated! And everyone else who commented!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Sticky this, better pictures and description than some books. Thanks alot for this.

We should compile a snake disease list with symptoms, photos etc.
Thank you Miranda, succinct and to the point, this would be a really good start to a reference sticky.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
when i was searching the internet i could find hardly any info even though it is so common! so i thought a good thread was vital.
this is why it makes it so special. not many people would/do share things like this for some reason. thx again.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Miranda, succinct and to the point, this would be a really good start to a reference sticky.
Thankyou very much!
this is why it makes it so special. not many people would/do share things like this for some reason. thx again.
Well i had the photos, and i was originally just going to do an update but then i thought while i had the info and pics i would make a thread.

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
Very informative post and easily understood even by newcomers to the hobby.
I have reported the first post (not badly) alerting the mods to the sticky request and hopefully this will then be considered.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts