Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, woke up this morn to a blown 125W exo terra basking bulb. I have a T5 lighting system with reflector for from arcadia, and from what ive read i could use a halogen bulb instead for my beardie?

if so, the viv is 5x2x3, what wattage will i need, same as the 125W?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would recommend a 100W Arcadia Halogen.

Exoterra bulbs are pretty poor quality, i wouldnt get another one of those if i were you, arcadia tend to last a lot, lot longer and are far better quality.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I use Komodo halgoens - In my experience they are the most hardy and last a long time. I've tried a few but these always come out top for me.

A 100w would be more than sufficient for that size viv. I have a 50w in a 4x20"x2 and get 40c no problems and 75w in my 4x2x2 which again heat to good temps without issue - and that's in winter.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
The 100w Arcadia halogen heatspot will do this easily.

Being made in Germany they tend to last well when used with a quality stat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Had a look on the Arcadia website, and saw the D3 bulb had a been angle of 50 and the halogen a beam angle of 25. Which do people recommend for a beardie?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Had a look on the Arcadia website, and saw the D3 bulb had a been angle of 50 and the halogen a beam angle of 25. Which do people recommend for a beardie?
Hi, the above mentioned halogens are fine, personally I use par 30 or par 38 outdoor halogens which you can buy on eBay/other for around £5 to £6 each, they are dimmable and can last up to 3,000 hours. I cannot put a link up (no idea why?) but you can see these bulbs in my avatar...

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
D3 is a UV lamp and cannot be stat controlled.

It's the halogen that you need for heat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.