Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue crayfish, and he has recently shed around his tail successfully. He was then very active for a couple of days. He is usually great at searching for food and chasing the minnows in his tank, but for the last two days he has hardly moved. He's still alive but not moving much at all. This started immediately after I heard a popping noise from his tank one night.

Has anyone experienced this before? He's in a fully aquatic tank, but I have him in a shallow bit of water with some rocks at the moment, and he does seem to be moving more. Would he benefit from a turtle dock going in his tank as a bit of land?

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

·
Registered
33,273 Posts
I have a blue crayfish, and he has recently shed around his tail successfully. He was then very active for a couple of days. He is usually great at searching for food and chasing the minnows in his tank, but for the last two days he has hardly moved. He's still alive but not moving much at all. This started immediately after I heard a popping noise from his tank one night.

Has anyone experienced this before? He's in a fully aquatic tank, but I have him in a shallow bit of water with some rocks at the moment, and he does seem to be moving more. Would he benefit from a turtle dock going in his tank as a bit of land?

crustaceans should moult all in one like a spider. could be he's coming up for a proper moult. a turtle dock would be useless, as they aren't amphibious, but fully aquatic. is your tank filtered, btw?

·
Registered
163 Posts

No they are completely aquatic and wont benefit from coming on to land.

Crayfish dont shed in parts, they shed their whole shell in one very dangerous go. If anything goes wrong during this time the crayfish can die (mine died getting spooked mid shed). It sounds very much like something has stopped him from shedding, isolate him and give him a bit of cover (they like to be hidden when shedding) from something that will make him a cave and see what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they are completely aquatic and wont benefit from coming on to land.

Crayfish dont shed in parts, they shed their whole shell in one very dangerous go. If anything goes wrong during this time the crayfish can die (mine died getting spooked mid shed). It sounds very much like something has stopped him from shedding, isolate him and give him a bit of cover (they like to be hidden when shedding) from something that will make him a cave and see what happens.
I've moved him to a corner of the tank and put some rocks around him with slates we have in the tank over the top to shelter him. He's not really moving at all, just the occasional eye movement or around the mouth area. I'm a little worried though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah as said above his shed should come off in one and hell prob munch on it afterwards,
if its all broken and coming off in parts he has not had a succesfull molt..

You shouldnt really be moving him at all if hes stuck in a molt youll do more damage then good :(

Hope he recovers soon!! let us know xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts