Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
(Kirra, 6yo, M, QLD) (Bajo, 4yo, poss F, NSWxQLD) (Hestu, 9mo, U, VIC)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member here. I have a 4 year old eastern bts who had a respiratory infection, he had been to a vet twice before, got given baytril for antibiotics to treat it, most of the symptoms have mostly cleared up but he still closes his eyes. They’re not sealed shut since sometimes he goes around with his eyes wide open whenever its warm and when I take him out. Other times he walks around “blind”. He’s obviously irritated since he occasionally bulges them out and rubbing them but I can’t see what’s causing it. There’s no bubbling, or anything to indicate an infection or damage, it’s just watery, it’s been going on for almost a month now.
He was originally on a mix of euci mulch and coco fibre, he’s now on paper towels. He did have past issues with some substrates particularly cocofibre where he’d often get it in his eyes but it has never gotten this bad. This often happens with using coco fibre by itself but never in a mixture.
His temps are normal, but since bumped up 4 degrees to help with RI and humidity is around 47-50%
He does have a linear uvb light but its old and likely not producing more uv, I had it turned off before but unfortunately nothing changed.
I’m currently trying to give him steam therapy by taking him into the shower with me, which helped with the breathing but still nothing has helped with his eyes.
My mum reckons it could be allergies because everyone else is suffering. Can blue tongues even get allergies like hay fever?
I’ve been looking everywhere for potential causes and if someone has a similar experience but google is no help as usual. I tried other forums but I get no response.

Anyone know what’s wrong with him? Do I just take him back to the vet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, what are the ambient (air) and basking surface temps and what are you using to measure them, also, can you show a photo of the whole enclosure?
Basking temps right now are 46c, ambients: warm end - 36c cool end - 28c. I have digital thermometers on each end and use a temp gun.

here is the enclosure. It’s 120x50x40cm wood vivarium.
Plant Wood Rectangle Terrestrial plant Tints and shades

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have found the cause. He had stuck shed on his nostrils and upon close inspection they seem to completely block both nostrils. Both came off after a shower and he was sneezing so much immediately after. I read that a clogged nose causes overproduction of tears making the eyes irritated and watery in bearded dragons. Is it the same in blue tongues?

I will give an update to see if he still has this issue or not.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Basking temps right now are 46c, ambients: warm end - 36c cool end - 28c. I have digital thermometers on each end and use a temp gun.

here is the enclosure. It’s 120x50x40cm wood vivarium.
View attachment 356092
The basking surface temps sound good, the lowest ambient is a bit too high, it only needs to be around 21c or so.
I think the paper towels are awful, although maybe you have them there temporarily because you thought the skink was in ill healtth?
Can I ask where in Melbourne you are, I`m originally from Nunawading, but currently living in the U.K, I expect you know where Murrindindi is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The basking surface temps sound good, the lowest ambient is a bit too high, it only needs to be around 21c or so.
I think the paper towels are awful, although maybe you have them there temporarily because you thought the skink was in ill healtth?
Can I ask where in Melbourne you are, I`m originally from Nunawading, but currently living in the U.K, I expect you know where Murrindindi is?
I’ll try lowering them if I can, it’s gonna be hard because it’s a wood enclosure. I might need to drill holes to increase ventilation.
I agree, I’m starting to hate paper towels, I was hoping to not use them again for a while after my boys had mites a few months ago. Hopefully he is feeling better now his nose is cleared so I can put him back onto his usual bedding.
I live in Melton, honestly I never heard of Murrindindi, had to look on google where it is lol, I’m more familiar with areas closer to the city.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I’ll try lowering them if I can, it’s gonna be hard because it’s a wood enclosure. I might need to drill holes to increase ventilation.
I agree, I’m starting to hate paper towels, I was hoping to not use them again for a while after my boys had mites a few months ago. Hopefully he is feeling better now his nose is cleared so I can put him back onto his usual bedding.
I live in Melton, honestly I never heard of Murrindindi, had to look on google where it is lol, I’m more familiar with areas closer to the city.
You live on the other side of Melbourne 70km away, I see how you hadn`t heard of Murrindindi and probably Nunawading. Both are almost the capital of Vic (or maybe not)!
What type and wattage of basking bulb/UVB are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You live on the other side of Melbourne 70km away, I see how you hadn`t heard of Murrindindi and probably Nunawading. Both are almost the capital of Vic (or maybe not)!
What type and wattage of basking bulb/UVB are you using?
He has a 50 watt intense basking bulb by exo terra and a 5.0 18 watt UVB by reptile one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts