Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about getting one of these later this year and wondered if anyone who had one could tell me abit about them.

like are they a good choice?

are they easily handled?

do they bite?

also any tips on keeping them.

what size viv is best?

also i've read its best to keep them on their own is that true or can you keep a pair together?

i've already read up on them but would appreciate any info you can give me

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hiya I have a blue tongued skink, hes lovely I find him very easy to handled and are usual a lovely pet, they are a great personailty too, but some people have had nasty ones on here, I personally think they lovely and would make a geat choice as a pet, they are fairly hardy animals so you should be fine with one!:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I,ve got one and i wouldn't call him the friendliest guy in the world,but i have come across others who are lovely.As babies they can be a bit grumpy but if you stick with them then they become very friendly.They are not hard to keep,mines is in a 36x18 tank and he's fine.However mine is only a small one (12") you can get ones that grow up to be 24".They are a great lizard to own so would read up on them,hope this hepls you :grin:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i have a pair and they have the ocassional row! in big colonies it can get really bad and they can loose arms and feet...mine are slightly evil but they are still great..they bite and hiss but they calm down eventually..usually after i have lost part of my hand!

main reason they are kept in colonies is they are hard to sex. even probing is not that accurate..unless you get exact measurements..

i keep a pair in a 4x2x2 with lots of hiding places...don't feed them dog food all the time as they get addicted and won't eat fruit or vegetables like they should...locusts and crickets are also a good addition..

i say go for it! they,re great!:)

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I have three BTS I have two living as a Pair in a 4ft Hx 2ft Wx 15"H viv and another on his own in a 3ftx18x18 viv.

all of them are great too handle its just a case of getting one young and handling plenty they do like to come out of vivs and will happily sit on your shoulder for hours.

As for feeding I tend to use lots of vegetable stuff and a bit of dog food and put into food processor I also add calypso (calcium) and a bit of nutrobal to this mix.

I also use chicken breast pieces and Pinky/fluffs mice every few days instead of dog food and will give them a boiled egg once a week. Also offer a variety of Berries daily and other fruit. Insect wise mine don't tend to go for crix but adore Snails and there favorites are cockroaches which they devour. I feed every other day, changing the variety of the food each time. There is so much food they can have my list is endless, personally I easily spend about £10-£15 a week just on there food but they are worth it.

as for set up unlike some I use UVB 8% repti glo tubes, although many believe they do not require it I think they do get benefit from it, if not it does no harm to have it anyway.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
sounds interesting, but they are still ugly:) fazer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts