Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a new vivarium for our skink what is the idealtemp and should the uv light be swiched off at night have a auto temp stat . the temp gets to 32c and does not go above this temp so heat lamp is staying on all the time.
any pointers as still new looking after lizards
thank you.
we have reptile soil mixed with vermiculite which we soaked before putting in and we mist daily.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
just purchased a new vivarium for our skink what is the idealtemp and should the uv light be swiched off at night have a auto temp stat . the temp gets to 32c and does not go above this temp so heat lamp is staying on all the time.
thank you.
we have reptile soil mixed with vermiculite which we soaked before putting in and we mist daily.
Hey there, everything should go off at night, and unless your house is freezing, you shouldn't need additional heating.
Ideal basking temp is about 100c give or take a degree, with a nice temp gradient going to the cool side.

All your lighting should be on a timer, roughly on a 12 hour cycle - its easier that switching it on and off.

Have a look on BTS.net if you haven't already done so. Really good care sheet on there.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Use corncob bedding or preferably alfalfa pellets (paper-towels, newspaper and Reptile-carpet are fine too) due to the fact they are mesy eaters and will swallow substrate guaranteed.......so avoid ANYTHING undigestable. Alfalfa pellets are #1 choice cuz if accidentally swallowed they actually are BENEFICIAL. Their diet should be 60% vegatation/leafy green and 40% animal protiens. You will have to mix it all together so they don't "pick" through and avoid the veggies (which they always do). Get a good healthy dogfood with a lot of vegetable in it, then add another part of diced romaine or other leafy greens - the mixture should always have MORE leafy greens than meat.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Use corncob bedding or preferably alfalfa pellets (paper-towels, newspaper and Reptile-carpet are fine too) due to the fact they are mesy eaters and will swallow substrate guaranteed.......so avoid ANYTHING undigestable. Alfalfa pellets are #1 choice cuz if accidentally swallowed they actually are BENEFICIAL. Their diet should be 60% vegatation/leafy green and 40% animal protiens. You will have to mix it all together so they don't "pick" through and avoid the veggies (which they always do). Get a good healthy dogfood with a lot of vegetable in it, then add another part of diced romaine or other leafy greens - the mixture should always have MORE leafy greens than meat.
Sorry, stay away from these substrates. The best to use is Aspen or a sand soil mix. They love to dig, so wouldn't do to well on repticarpet, and the corncob or alfafa pellets can get mouldy easily.

Mine is on Aspen, and he loves to burrow in it. He gets fed his insects outside his viv, so there is a reduced chance of impaction.

As for feeding - variety is the key, lots of fruit and veg (mine gets it everyday), also pinkies, lots of different kinds of insects, turkey mince, kidney, liver, even fish on occassion.

AVOID dog food - it's for dogs. :bash:

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Hey there, everything should go off at night, and unless your house is freezing, you shouldn't need additional heating.
Ideal basking temp is about 100c give or take a degree, with a nice temp gradient going to the cool side.

All your lighting should be on a timer, roughly on a 12 hour cycle - its easier that switching it on and off.

Have a look on BTS.net if you haven't already done so. Really good care sheet on there.
She meant 100F. 100C would be a tad hot lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Totaly agree with jo jo, if you can ignore the advice in the second guys post and go to bluetongueskinks.net and read there care sheet. Its is long but it will give you all the info you could need. Mine are kept on beech chips (size XL) they look great an the skinks love digging around in them. I also feed in a low sided bowl on a slate tile so any dropped food dosnt become an issue of impaction. Congratz on your new friend, just maybe next time you get a reptile try reading a few care sheets before hand just to make sure you wont be out of your depth and can give the care needed to said animal :eek:) (that isnt a telling off tho!)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Totaly agree with jo jo, if you can ignore the advice in the second guys post and go to bluetongueskinks.net and read there care sheet. Its is long but it will give you all the info you could need. Mine are kept on beech chips (size XL) they look great an the skinks love digging around in them. I also feed in a low sided bowl on a slate tile so any dropped food dosnt become an issue of impaction. Congratz on your new friend, just maybe next time you get a reptile try reading a few care sheets before hand just to make sure you wont be out of your depth and can give the care needed to said animal :eek:) (that isnt a telling off tho!)

Ooohhh might try the beech chips next - where do you get them?
(I'm always wary of picking woodchips myself in case they aren't safe).

I've got a big slate tile too :2thumb:, mainly for his water dish tho, as they just love dragging the contents of the viv into them!! :devil:

·
Registered
167 Posts
We get our chips from a local rep shop but you can get them online at alot of rep sites. I use Chipsi Extra XL they are a good size and i get no dust from them. My guys are in a just over 6 foot vivs (seperate lol) and they have slate tiles for feeding and for there water dish's :eek:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all your help i had beanie on wood chips in her old viv but got new one and was advised to use peat and vermiculite. . would normal pine wood chippings be ok if sifted as i have about 10 tonne sitting in garden or get them from a reptile shop i can get both from tree surgeon when he shreds up timber.
but do not want to go and do it and find its no good.
the bsk site was a mine of information exept its american and when saying about aspen chips where would i go for this but looks like you can buy it in this country.
also very intersting re most bsk are wild caught think mine was.
have cousins in sidney annd they get bsk come onto decking to bask during the day.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
thank you for all your help i had beanie on wood chips in her old viv but got new one and was advised to use peat and vermiculite. . would normal pine wood chippings be ok if sifted as i have about 10 tonne sitting in garden or get them from a reptile shop i can get both from tree surgeon when he shreds up timber.
but do not want to go and do it and find its no good.
the bsk site was a mine of information exept its american and when saying about aspen chips where would i go for this but looks like you can buy it in this country.
also very intersting re most bsk are wild caught think mine was.
have cousins in sidney annd they get bsk come onto decking to bask during the day.

I cant help here, but it has the same name as my bosc! :gasp:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Ditto, avoid pine.

I've kept BTS for a good few years now, beach chips are easiest to spot clean however I think they look ugly, I've ended up using a mix of orchard bark, playsand, top soil a couple of inches deep, lots of big rocks/bark to form caves, spray maybe once a week so as not to humid. They enjoy burrowing into the substrate. Good luck

·
Banned
950 Posts
Sorry, stay away from these substrates. The best to use is Aspen or a sand soil mix. They love to dig, so wouldn't do to well on repticarpet, and the corncob or alfafa pellets can get mouldy easily.
Aspen and sandy soil is great if enjoy mites. Alfalfa won't get MOLDY if U practice proper maintenance.

Mine is on Aspen, and he loves to burrow in it. He gets fed his insects outside his viv, so there is a reduced chance of impaction.
Insects are not a staple diet and most Blue-tongues will stop eating them after a while entirely if fed excessively, as well as is it not as important to their diet as green.

As for feeding - variety is the key, lots of fruit and veg (mine gets it everyday), also pinkies, lots of different kinds of insects, turkey mince, kidney, liver, even fish on occassion.
LOTS of fruit is a very BAD idea, not sure where you get your information from, but sucrose/fructose in excessive amounts is bad for ANY reptiles, despite omnivores or 100% herbivores. Fruits should always be in moderation, less than 10% of the animal's diet.

AVOID dog food - it's for dogs. :bash:
Dog food is NOT just for dogs and as a matter of fact, there are dog foods that I would never feed my dogs, that are more suitable composure for reptiles in general.....but then again, I'm just a 25-year Veteran who does this for a LIVING, not just another keeper who got their knowledge from the INTERNET. LMAO. Dogfood with a lot of vegetables mixed in with it are actually a great idea, and you can mix even MORE vegetables in with it due to the consistency. Just make sure it's a healthy, highly recomended brand

The simple fact that you obviously get your information from OTHER peoples' experiences on websites and the INTERNET and I get MINE from my own personal experiences should say alot. If there was someone's advice to ignore, I assure I wouldn't be the one that qualified for it. Again, need I say again I do this for a LIVING and I have a loyal ARMY of followers who swear by me. Try pressing "enter" and making paragraphs occasionally, instead of just a wall of text that gives people motion sickness also.....it makes me want to ignore you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for info you have orchard bark where can you get this. and play sand and soil. latter is no prob i asume you mix the soil and play sand together what depth do you have this and the orchard bark .
i need to get a slab of rock will go to stonemason see if they have any off cuts of portland or other stone.
its getting more interesting all the time and since she went into her new home has become more interesting coming out more so old setup was far from ideal. should have found this forum and the bst sitebeforembarking on getting one.
will do so before i get a water dragon.
once again all of you thank you have lernt a lot

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Aspen and sandy soil is great if enjoy mites. Alfalfa won't get MOLDY if U practice proper maintenance.

Insects are not a staple diet and most Blue-tongues will stop eating them after a while entirely if fed excessively, as well as is it not as important to their diet as green.

LOTS of fruit is a very BAD idea, not sure where you get your information from, but sucrose/fructose in excessive amounts is bad for ANY reptiles, despite omnivores or 100% herbivores. Fruits should always be in moderation, less than 10% of the animal's diet.

Dog food is NOT just for dogs and as a matter of fact, there are dog foods that I would never feed my dogs, that are more suitable composure for reptiles in general.....but then again, I'm just a 25-year Veteran who does this for a LIVING, not just another keeper who got their knowledge from the INTERNET. LMAO. Dogfood with a lot of vegetables mixed in with it are actually a great idea, and you can mix even MORE vegetables in with it due to the consistency. Just make sure it's a healthy, highly recomended brand

The simple fact that you obviously get your information from OTHER peoples' experiences on websites and the INTERNET and I get MINE from my own personal experiences should say alot. If there was someone's advice to ignore, I assure I wouldn't be the one that qualified for it. Again, need I say again I do this for a LIVING and I have a loyal ARMY of followers who swear by me. Try pressing "enter" and making paragraphs occasionally, instead of just a wall of text that gives people motion sickness also.....it makes me want to ignore you.

Army of followers? Ok chum. And may i ask, what do you actually do for a living?

And I think my blue tongue, yes, I do own one (do you?) would prefer insects and fruit and veg, instead of some pedigree Chum, although I could add the extra ash and rubbish in with his veg mix. And I apologise, I forget how abundant dog food is in the wild.

I have had my blue tongue on aspen and a sand/soil mix at one time, and my tegu on a sand/soil mix, and you know what? Never had mites. Must be coincidence and nothing to do with my husbandry.

Now, a few errors in your post. I did not say insects were a staple diet - I said variety is the key. I tend to listen to my vet, who is an excellent herp vet, and not just people on the Internet. Oopsie - you're on the Internet too.

And as for you "wall of text" comment regarding Heffer_Nites post, it's a paragraph, not war and peace.

Once more, I'd encourage the OP to go on to BTS.net, where you will find info, yes on the Internet, but from people who keep and successfully breed BTS. Which is not an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Army of followers? Ok chum. And may i ask, what do you actually do for a living?

And I think my blue tongue, yes, I do own one (do you?) would prefer insects and fruit and veg, instead of some pedigree Chum, although I could add the extra ash and rubbish in with his veg mix. And I apologise, I forget how abundant dog food is in the wild.

I have had my blue tongue on aspen and a sand/soil mix at one time, and my tegu on a sand/soil mix, and you know what? Never had mites. Must be coincidence and nothing to do with my husbandry.

Now, a few errors in your post. I did not say insects were a staple diet - I said variety is the key. I tend to listen to my vet, who is an excellent herp vet, and not just people on the Internet. Oopsie - you're on the Internet too.

And as for you "wall of text" comment regarding Heffer_Nites post, it's a paragraph, not war and peace.

Once more, I'd encourage the OP to go on to BTS.net, where you will find info, yes on the Internet, but from people who keep and successfully breed BTS. Which is not an easy thing to do.
I used to keep a BTS a couple months back and many of the people at BTS.net had nothing against good quality dog food as part of their animal's diet? Sure, not as a staple, but as a part of it? Don't see any problem there.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I used to keep a BTS a couple months back and many of the people at BTS.net had nothing against good quality dog food as part of their animal's diet? Sure, not as a staple, but as a part of it? Don't see any problem there.
I think my problem with dogfood compared to say, some turkey mince or some kidney - I know exactly whats in the mince.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
thank you.
To answer your questions... copied from bluetongueskinks.net.. the bible for BTS owners

Regular daytime temperatures on the cool end can be anywhere from the low 70's to the low 80 degree range, and the basking end consistent at 95º to 100º. Some would say as high as 110º on the basking end, but I think that's too high.
So. put your probe at the cool end, set it to somewhere between 75-80. i'm not sure on an exact temperature as i haven't kept this species for several years now. Your stat will now keep the cool end at that temperature, the rest should fall into place just adjust the high of the basking spot to get an ideal temperature.

UV off at night is a given with any species : victory:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.