Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are blue tongue skinks like to keep as i have been offered two and full set up and wondered what they are like to keep and what sort of decor the viv needs to have

·
Registered
373 Posts
you should try searching on google heres one i found but have a look at others to get comparison hope this helps :D

Care

* Need a large enclosure such as a 40-55 gallon tank.
* Being ground dwellers they don't need branches for climbing, but still need a secure lid.
* Substrate: aspen wood shavings, cypress mulch, or even newspaper.
Sponsored Links

mulch productsLarge selection of mulch products and bark chippings at low prices.www.ahsdirect.co.uk:
Make sure they are not ingesting wood substrates.
* Temperature: gradient from 75-85 F (24-29 C) with a basking spot of 95 F (35 C). A combination of undertank heating and a basking light on one side of the tank works well. Make sure the appropriate temperature gradient is provided by measuring temperatures in various spots around the tank. Night temperature can drop to about 70 F (21 C).
* Light: in addition to the incandescent basking light, provide a full spectrum UVA/UVB light for 10-12 hours per day.
* Water: provide a large shallow sturdy water dish. Skinks like to bathe in their water but often defecate there so frequent cleaning is required for the water dish.
* Hides: a couple of sturdy hiding spots should be provided for skinks, which like to burrow and hide. Cork bark, wood, rocks, PVC pipes, or other hides can be used. Make sure wood pieces or rocks are firmly places so they will not fall on the lizard. A humidity hide (e.g. a plastic storage box with moss or cypress mulch to holds moisture) will help with sheds.

Feeding

* Skinks are true omnivores, which should be reflected in their diet.
* Variety is the key to providing a nutritious diet, and a calcium/vitamin D supplement should be added to the food.
* Melissa Kaplan recommends a balance of about 60% vegetable/fruits and 40% meat items.
* Vegetables/fruits: beans, summer or winter squash, carrots, parsnips, leafy greens. Can be shredded or pureed and added to meat portion of diet. Fruits can include strawberries, bananas, melon, etc.
* Meats: low fat canned dog food is a good staple in the diet. This should be supplemented with other items such as superworms and pinkie mice (larger for adults).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluetongues are not fussy eaters, but they should still get a balanced meal.
I vitamise chicken livers, lamb kidneys and beef heart with a slop of Cod Liver Oil.
Into the resulting paste I mix a can of creamed corn and a can of peas and carrot mix. This is seperated into portions and frozen.
When I feed, I defrost a portion and thoroughly mix in a raw egg and twice as much by volume of finely chopped Bok Choi greens, some finely chopped tomato and some grated carrot.
They also get a few earthworms and mealworms every few days.
I feed the offal meats and Cod Liver Oil because, although the skinks have a UVB light, I believe these organs are most likely to contain Vitamin D3.

Heating is not an issue where I am but I still provide them with heat as they obviously enjoy it. I zigzag a 15w Heat Chord held with silicone between two 1' x 1' ceramic tiles. This is placed on flat rocks to provide a hide about 3" high beneath the tiles and a basking area on top. The cage is glass fronted timber with a wire top, 8' x 2' x 3' and a heated set of tiles is set at each end, with further basking rocks (cool) in the middle. The skinks are not aggressive toward each other, but I prefer to allow them seperate territories just in case.

The best Bluetongue Care Sheet I know of is:

http://bluetongueskinks.net/blue.htm

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
samroyal2 said:
what are blue tongue skinks like to keep as i have been offered two and full set up and wondered what they are like to keep and what sort of decor the viv needs to have

blue tongued skinks are lovely pets I own one baby one and I am thinking of getting him/her a friend, they are really friendly and got funny like personalltys, they make a great pet! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts