Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking into these for the last few days. Hopefully will be getting one soon.

Can someone just check if what I know so far is OK please :D

Basking spot of 95-100f
UV - What one??
Substrate Im unsure of but I think Ive seen topsoil can be used?

Large waterbowl for them to get in and keep humidity raised.
Unsure whether I need to mist the vivarium aswell???

Food wise is 50% veg, 40% livefoods and 10% fruit. Is that OK?

What sort of fruit/veg shall I offer? I have a small list on a caresheet Im reading but just wondering what anyone offers their skinks? Anything to avoid food wise?

Any help/advice would be great please :)

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Basking spot temps are fine, though you can go up to 105 without a problem too, so 100 would allow for outside temp fluctuations, if you get what i mean, heh.

As for UV, i think an 8.0 is fine.

Substrate, carefresh and aspen is best as they like to dig. I think people do use soil but i can imagin it'd get everywhere, in their ears and nose and stuff.

Food is fine, yeh. Just be aware that if you only feel live food, you may have trouble getting it to eat its greens, as they can be quite picky about greens. I use cooked chicken because i can stick it all in a food processor and he ends up with mouthfulls of greens along with the meat hes after.

My skinks base diet is spring greens, butternut squash, mango and chicken. They love egg, snails and banana, though banana should be used more like a treat.
Keep away from citrus fruits.
bluetongueskinks.net has a great food chart with Ca:p ratios and all sorts of confusing nutritional information.

additional advice.. as long as you've read that care sheet, you shouldn't need any.
maybe just be aware that once you've set eyes on your skink, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it : victory:

hope you'll post photos when you get one :2thumb:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot, thats the caresheet Im going through at the moment. Its very good!

I never liked skinks before now lol, but BTS sound so great!

The carefresh bedding is like brown paper stuff isnt it? And that can go all over the viv as substrate?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep, carefresh is made from 100% virgin wood pulp fibre, apparently and can be used for the whole viv. I think the main bonus with it is that it is very clean, very absorbant and reduces nasty smells.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks alot.

How do you cook the chicken? And how often does the skink have it?
And you just blend this up with the greens? I guess the chicken is instead of livefoods?

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
For mine I steam the chicken and I alternate this with livefoods as his source of protein. I just mix it in with the greens and veg.
I use hemp as his substrate now, which I find works well for him to dig around in and is also absorbant for his wee.
They are great lizards, really tame, lovely characters.
Good luck with yours, can't wait to see pics, especially if you are betting a baby one. Little baby skinks are the cutest thing ever! :flrt:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
psycoviggy what species of BTs is the one in your avatar?

·
Registered
294 Posts
As blink said, just steam or boil it.
I'm not sure it really matters how it's cooked as long as it isn't fatty.

My BTS was sold to be as an Indonesian, though i won't know for sure untill it get its adult colours and pattern.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I use ecoearth and orchid bark mixed up for his substrate, loves it. Hoping to try some of this hemp stuff sometime soon. I would assume seeing as ecoearth works fine for me that topsoil would be fine, but it does tend to clump as it dries so you may want to sieve it before you put it in. Eco earth is good also for humidity, mines a Merauke so likes it a bit damper than the aussie species.

Mine won't eat veg unless we put it in a blender with a tiny bit of grilled chicken, then he eats the lot :lol2: He also likes raspberries and fig. Loves livefoods and goes especially mental for roaches.

Not sure if anyone else has already said this but Blue Tongue Skinks - Welcome to BlueTongueSkinks.NET ! is the best place for info and they have 2 really good food charts for how often to feed different foods, all colour coded which is really handy...

: victory:

·
Registered
602 Posts
i'v also recently fallen in love with bts and would love to get one what size viv is best for them and is it best to get one from a young age.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Does the substrate have to be damp?

So how often do you feed and what do you feed on a daily basis?
Will take a look at the foodcharts now!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
294 Posts
shelby -
a 4 foot viv is probably a good minimum size for an adult BTS, though if you have a 3 foot and you get a young bluey that'll be fine untill it outgrows it.
it is better to get them from a young age, simply because the bond is better and you get to tame them and don't have to worry so much about if they were treated or cared for incorrectly in the past.

Catherine896 -
To be honest, most BTS do not really like humidity, and if you give them a large water bowl they have the choice of spending time in that. I have heard some of the non-aus skinks are ok with slightly damp substrate, but they are also perfectly fine without it so it is probably better just to use something like dry carefresh or aspen.
If you get a young skink you should start by feeding it daily. They can be fed once every 2 or 3 days, but your skink should let you know how often it wants to be fed. Mine eats every 2 days otherwise he just sits for ages picking out the chicken.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Basking spot temps are fine, though you can go up to 105 without a problem too, so 100 would allow for outside temp fluctuations, if you get what i mean, heh.

As for UV, i think an 8.0 is fine.

Substrate, carefresh and aspen is best as they like to dig. I think people do use soil but i can imagin it'd get everywhere, in their ears and nose and stuff.

Food is fine, yeh. Just be aware that if you only feel live food, you may have trouble getting it to eat its greens, as they can be quite picky about greens. I use cooked chicken because i can stick it all in a food processor and he ends up with mouthfulls of greens along with the meat hes after.

My skinks base diet is spring greens, butternut squash, mango and chicken. They love egg, snails and banana, though banana should be used more like a treat.
Keep away from citrus fruits.
bluetongueskinks.net has a great food chart with Ca:p ratios and all sorts of confusing nutritional information.

additional advice.. as long as you've read that care sheet, you shouldn't need any.
maybe just be aware that once you've set eyes on your skink, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it : victory:

hope you'll post photos when you get one :2thumb:
Thought i'd highjack this thread, safe of starting a newer one with the same old stuff..

Does everyone agree with 8.0 UV? im sure i read somewhere reptisun 5.0 was best? but im not sure where i read that, or if i made it up :p

Oh and does anyone know a supplier of the Nolvasan, mentioned on Detailed Blue Tongue Skink Caresheet - BlueTongueSkinks.NET or something similar? tbh even a weak bleach solution is a bit too smelly for me..

·
Registered
49 Posts
my eroyl loves grapes and blueberrys but he also loves rabbit and chicken.
your temps are fine but i personally would never use soil cos they dont seam to like it much aspen chips are really good.no misting is required

im not sure if im correct but i was allways told to avoid dampness cos of the risk of fungle and resportory infections
the one i have now prefers a shallow big water bowl rather than a deep one not sure why but hes fussy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts