Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a weird problem, ive just started feeding my boa rats, and after every feed she starts to look all over her body, picks out a specific place and then bites herself, normally about 3/4's down her body away from her head. I would like to know why she does this as everybody who i have told this to is amazed and cannot explain why this happens. She is about 4 yr's old and is kept in really good condition. plz help!!!!

Ad.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I have heard of this happening, usually due to a neurological problem, this has been linked to air fresheners.
I also remember reading about a snake that had been overheated and subsequently suffered brain damage, this continued to bit and actually attempted to eat itself on several occasions, it was eventually euthanised.

This, may or may not shed light on why your snake is doing this, it may be something completely different and i am sure other people will have ideas.

another thing that has crossed my mind is a digestive problem, the snake feels pain and bites itself ?
just a thought.

Perhaps an exotics vet should be contacted.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
someone on here had a kingsnake doing the same thing i think (may have been a royal actually? Cant remember!)
I dont know what the diagnosis was but if anyone can remember who it was talking to them may help. I seem to recall it was put down eventually though :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
sorry to hear about this. contact your vet mate

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
do you think its because when it constricts the rat the smell would rub off on to the boas body,therefore if the snake smells itself it thinks theres more food around? thats the only thing that i could think of but its probably wrong lol.what do you think?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
wouldnt have thought it would be to do with the smell as all constrictors would bite themselves, wouldnt they?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
yeah your probably right.i dont know i just thought i would say it because there could be a simple explanation for it.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
is it worth on her next feed trying an equally sized different rodent of some kind you said u have jus started her on rats seems like it may be a coincedence to me i may be wrong tho i have no idea why ur snake might be doing this but i guess a different food might be worth a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for all your responses, i had a thought too!, maybe she has some kind of issue relocating her jaw after such a big meal? :? and so she latches onto herself. Maybe a trip to the vet is a good idea.

Thx, Ad

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i think it may be it can just smell rats on itsself but im not sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts