Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i ask a Q? I have a few boas all fairly young, what is the correct age for breeding in males an females?
there are so many pieces of advise on the net but all seem to contradict each other!
one site talks of size and age in females but only of size in males where others state just age.... all of which are different!

Here is what i think... all i ask is if im wrong please can some one let me know as i dont want to risk the health of my snakes.

I have a female boa that i want to breed next season she is two yrs now and just over 6ft,
I have a male that is just over a year now and from what i have read can breed when he reaches 4-5ft, is this right?

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
you have your info correct
regards gaz

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers,
Had it all clear in my mind until i read all the different theory's an ideas on the net!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
And just what is the best way of getting Boa's to breed? I have plenty of experience with corns and ratsnakes, but none with breeding Boa's and I know the procedures are different. I could get the info from other caresheets and books, but there are probably others who are going to ask the same questions on here too...
Steve

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
getting B.c.i to breed is easy,once your animals are up to size/age/weight simply start thermal cycling with DTH of 90F and NTL of 70F, 12 hours of each,ad male to female(preferably multiple males) and cook for 1-3months, if your males are good courtship will start almost immediately and will continue up until the female(s) stop producing pheromones which will be shortly after ovulation,in itself fairly obvious if you catch it(looks like female swallowed rugby ball).
once courtship has ceased remove male for feeding at normal temps,provide female with hotspot of 90F day and night,cool end 80F ditto,try her with food(some feed some dont)make sure she has water everyday and wait 4 months.
regards gaz
PS ta Nat(wheres the boots??)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts