Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey every one. i need a bit of help. :S i've got a pair of cb07 boas comming this week and i need some help regarding breeding. the male is a true red tail and the female is a cross between a red tail and a common. my plans are to breed them in the future but i havn't bread boas before and i'm a bit unsure. now i've done my reaserch and found that they need to be seperated and then re-introduced but they've been housed together since young and don't know if this will cause any problems? anyone with experience if you could help please ? and also just general stuff like i've heard different things about cooling and such. please help ?:lol2:
cheers.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hi, I shall give you a brief outline of the process,
Yes they should be housed seperately, someone people will disagree but you can monitor them better as individuals. The determining factor for breeding is actually the size/weight of the female. She is going to need to be at least 6ft and chunky. So she may or may not be ready for next season it will depend on her growth rate. You will need to stop feeding at the end of sept, early october so she must be well up to weight by then. If she is up to weight then at the beginning of next season you are going to need to cycle them. Some people say it isnt necessary but I cycle mine by lowering the temps and shortening the daylight hours (Out come the black out blinds). Then pop them in together I have never known of a male or female to be aggressive when intorduced they are both thinking about one thing only. So you have plenty of time between now and then to do some research. I recommend getting a good book like the boa constrictor manual, its only a small book but covers breeding and will give you more info to fill in what I have missed.
Good luck with the new boas

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
thanks alot. really helped. what happens when they've been together for a few weeks? please get back. : victory: cheers.
When you first put them together the male (if ready to breed) will court the female by squeezing her and crawling on top of her after a few weeks you will see a pre ovulation swell which is when her follicles are starting to develop. DO NOT mistake this for her being gravid they havent even done the deed yet. Then a couple of weeks later they get on with it and mate a few times. The male will eventaully lose all interest and just be happily curled up somewhere. I cant give you a specific length of time for keeping them together as it does vary from breeding to breeding but you will know when he isnt interested anymore compared to what he has been like before hand. She will then start swelling up, she is now considered gravid. She will be gravid for a few months in total. Then she will go on to have her pre laying shed and finally pop out some babies if all went well.
But seriously you will need a book for your first few times so you can refer back to it time and again to see at what stage the pair are at.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would look for an Ovulation too ;-)

And after The Ovu she most of the time will have her shed within 2/3 weeks,,,Only after an Ovulation she is gravid.

My count is 4 months after Ovu she will deliver her jong.

Hope this helps.

Toine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts