Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think bout this Boa? His age is not known but guessed to be only a few years old and he is about 5 foot in length. His skin around his head and jaw looks a bit "baggy" and bodily looks like he could be plumper.
He is a rescue case that we have been offered to rehome but just wanted some comments on him from more knowledgable snake keepers. He fed last night but dont know how he normally feeds.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
from the picture at the top he looks like he could have a bulge around the throat. this can be a sign of a respiratory infection. it definately looks not quite right. if its skinny could just be a sag from where he used to be bigger. depends if you have any other snakes. definately quarantine before you put him near the others

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was an R.I. would he have any other symptoms? He seems ok apart from the bagginess. We dont know about drinking but know that he has not been fed for about 6 weeks, but fed as soon as he was offered last night, so I suppose the loss of weight in that time could contribute to the sagging in his skin?
How long should he be quarantined?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Are you sure the bluey colour you are seeing is not just the irredesence you get on boas? Baggy skin could be anything really, could be that he has lost a lot of wieght and needs feeding back up, could mean he is about to shed or it could be something wrong with him medically... If I were you I would just keep an eye on him. If he seems happy enough and is showing no other symptoms like you say then I would not worry too much.. If you are concerned at all though a visit to the vet will not do any harm even if only to put your mind at rest....

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i really want to take this snake,but im worried it will cost more in the long run if it's more than just being under fed or dehydrated.he's kept in a cupboard so im thinking he's depressed.hardly has human contact.but he is not aggressive at all...more inquisative.as he's not my snake i cant take him to the vets,but i have asked our local vet for any help he can give.

G

·
Signs of an R.I are bubbling from the mouth and also the sound is like that of an asthmatic.You would here a wheeze from the snake.The baggy skin sounds to me like it is probably due to the weight loss.Do you know what temps this fella has been kept at and any idea of the humidity?

He also looks large enough to be feeding on large rats.Dont be fooled into thinking he is not aggressive either as this could be down to him being kept at temps which are to low or the fact that he hasnt eaten properly for so long.Im not saying he is nasty but just be careful when you are around him for a while.

·
Registered
379 Posts
There is definatley no wheezing or any discharge from his nose or mouth, I think the baggy skin is just due to the rapid weight loss. Unsure of temps and humidity as he was being kept in a built in wardrobe in a bedroom with the door closed 24/7 so I doubt it was possible to monitor anything!
We would really like to take him on but as Stu says we dont want to be left with a sick snake.

·
Registered
632 Posts
jaysnakeman said:
the baggy skin may just be due to dehydration, has it been drinking ok?
I rescued my boa too and she had saggy skin the people who had her didn't give her enough water, she was very de-hydrated and has probs shedding sometimes. keep an eye in him cause kidney problems are common. Look out for any abnormal lumps and good luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts