Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, our local shop as a baby boa constrictor in and its growing nicely though we know it has had some dodgy feeds. But I always wanted to hold it and they refused to let me saying it bites. What annoys me about this is that i have handled more reptiles than them anyway so I am aware of how to hold one and I'm pretty aware it can be a nasty bite if it wants to but I mean, i let a bosc monitor sleep under my bed, im not exactly bothered about a baby snake bite. Are they really that bad? its probably only a foot long and if they're going to say that to every customer they get, its never going to get bought anyway so why even get it in stock?

Its pretty much pissed me off really as they dont even keep their reps in the neccessary set ups anyway in the shit shitty shop so letting someone who cares handle it seems like a nice thing to do for the poor thing in my eyes. got a good mind to go and buy it now.

Or order one into the petshop i work in so then i dont actually need to get ripped off to get one aswell -.-

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm no snake expert.. but if that shop owner lets you hold the snake / animal, and it does actually bite you.. you can take them to the cleaners? i.e sue them?

Could be wrong.. but people have to look after their busineses!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no but the thing is, we actually go in there everyday and have bought laods of reptiles and stuff off them an its an absolute joke, besdies, i got bit today anyway by one of their lizards.

Its most likely to be that u handle an animal at your own risk to be honest, otherwise everyone would be intentionally getting bit by animals just to get some money.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
fair point about suing and that, but if you're gonna buy you wanna hold or touch dont ya. you 'd wanna checkout the merchandise , so to speak. i.e check for damage or obvious ailments.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u cant sue over being bit by an animal u willingly held urself if u've been told the risks. it'd be stupid and it'd be out of control. if u can sue, i'm going to shove my hand into a bird cage tomorrow and get bit so i can sue them. But it just wouldnt work and it mustnt work that way cuz for people got bit by rodents at our pet shop this last few weeks and we havent been sued :p

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Can you not write up a disclaimer saying you handle it AYOR?

Oh, and maybe it's because you actually have some herp sense that they're not letting you handle it... don't want you to know something...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh well we know it doesnt eat well but perhaps they know that we can tell they just cant be assed feeding it at a later time rather than in the middle of the afternoon. Cant believe they have let me handle Don when he's been in there but not a 1ft snake.

Like i am worried that its a boa constrictor and its bit people before. I dont even believe that they've even handled it before so i dont know who they think theyre kidding.

Btw cyber, i held a royal for the first time the other day and I've fallen in love :p just dont have the space :( would rather get a constrictor though lol.
The scarier the better i say!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I would see the same kind of explanation as Anthony on this one,but I wouldn't buy any animal from any place which i am not allowed to handle first.

·
Registered
301 Posts
when ever we've been to a reptile shop they always let us handle the snakes if we ask them,unless they are pretty aggresive and big,but that makes sense i suppose. but i don't see why they wouldnt let you handle a baby boa.by making an issue about handling it, they're scaring ppl i guess :? what shop was it :?:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I don't even have to ask in my local shop now.. i walk in and they usually get the kings straight out :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeh well thats what i thought, boa's are meant to have a great temperament usually as far as im aware.

They let me handle Don even though they said he is nasty and he turned out to be a great big softy. I personally think they're hiding something from me and I would LOVE to report them for something but unfortunatly they cleaned up a bit after little Charlie died.

They even made out they didnt even remember who he was -.- argh now im so angry. Got a good mind to take the boa home but i dont really have space and my mum says i definatly couldnt keep that in the house :(

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
just the other day, i walked into my local pet store who sell exotic pets and they had a new royal in. The owners know us seeing as we are regular customers and often go down their just to look.

So he let us hold his new royal, about 1.5ft long - they are amazing, wish i could get one :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Boa constrictor - as bad as the pet shop made out or not

Blazey said:
Hey guys, our local shop as a baby boa constrictor in and its growing nicely though we know it has had some dodgy feeds. But I always wanted to hold it and they refused to let me saying it bites. What annoys me about this is that i have handled more reptiles than them anyway so I am aware of how to hold one and I'm pretty aware it can be a nasty bite if it wants to but I mean, i let a bosc monitor sleep under my bed, im not exactly bothered about a baby snake bite. Are they really that bad? its probably only a foot long and if they're going to say that to every customer they get, its never going to get bought anyway so why even get it in stock?

Its pretty much pissed me off really as they dont even keep their reps in the neccessary set ups anyway in the shit shitty shop so letting someone who cares handle it seems like a nice thing to do for the poor thing in my eyes. got a good mind to go and buy it now.

Or order one into the petshop i work in so then i dont actually need to get ripped off to get one aswell -.-
tell them to stick the snake up there arse it wouldnt hurt if it did bite

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Blazey said:
Btw cyber, i held a royal for the first time the other day and I've fallen in love :p just dont have the space :( would rather get a constrictor though lol.
:cry: *Savannah sobs quietly in a corner, feeling forgotten and lonely.... :cry:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yeh lol u know i did forget that :p sorry amanda :( i didnt mean to.

Savannah was lovely too :( give her a kiss from me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
boa

hi mate what planet are they on. even if u did want to take them to court thats what they have liability ins for they obviously cant be bothered, are they a reptile shop or pet shop

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pet shop.

They are CLEARLY hiding something, a juvenile bosc would do the same damage if not more than a baby boa constrictor. Boas also are meant to have a much better temperament than a bosc aswell so why let me hold that an not the boa?! They're absolute hypocrites and I really dislike them, especially as its the same shop that let my poor charlie get in such a bad state when theyre around the corner from a qualified reptile vet and said they couldnt be bothered finding the time to care for him. Ihate them i hate them I HATE THEM!!! :twisted:

FECKING STUPID PET SHOP.

·
Registered
179 Posts
boa

i find that pet shops who sell reptiles just look at them as extra profit and dont really know alot on them, thats what its like round near me anyway, i always stick to just rep shops

1 - 20 of 34 Posts