Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before any of the mods moan about this or move it...I have put this in the snake section rather than the care sheet section because I'd like other people to review it for me first :) .

It is all written by me so before I show it to anyone as a proper care sheet I'd like people who're more in the know to tell me what they think. Is anything incorrect? Am I missing anything you think should be in a care sheet? Any tips and any typos you noticed?

http://www.intravenous.org.uk/boaconstrictorcare

Any comments would be very much appreciated :D .

The reason I'm writing a care sheet when there are already so many out there is that a) I'm making a website, b) I will soon have a boa and incase any of my friends take an interest in boas after seeing my one I'd like them to have a direct link to the basic care of one. I'd be really upset if any pet of mine inspired a friend to go out and impulse buy a pet when they didn't know how to care for it properly (I will be doing one for tropical fish too because so many people don't realise the care involved with these either).

It's not quite finished yet as you can see...I'll post up the feeding/cleaning/shedding/handling bit later.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hi i read your care sheet looks pretty good, im getting a boa at weekend and alot of care sheets dont have feeding habbits on and people who have not had boa before like myself may not know what there like for feeding n how often, like some sites i read they eat large mice and others eat rabbits 6ft and over might be something for you to look into to add to your care sheet.

when you have completed it could you please send me the link, thanks n good luck :D

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
looks great, well done you :) i did find one typo tho :
incandescent (or any other light emitting heat source) can only be used during the day. Having lights on during the night will disturb the snake?s sleeping
where is the rest of the site?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah...I didn't write it up in html code to start with, I wrote bits up on livejournal (to see how it might look online) and some on word so when it came to mixing it together and putting it into html some of the bullet points, apostrophe's, dashes and other punctuation came out funny. I thought I'd fixed them all :oops: .

The rest of the site is still under construction (read: it only gets done when my boyfriend can be bothered helping with the code :roll: ) so at the moment it is mostly only used as an online gallery for my photos.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
looks cool, good on you

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
TBH there Lucy that one of the better care sheets I've read.... Very in depth and useful...

If I can make a suggestion though, once finished post it in the care sheet section! :D

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, the body of it is finally finished. Later on I will change the background - don't worry, nothing fluorescent or offensive on the eyes :lol: and I'll probably put a menu on it and links to the rest of the website.

I thought my care sheet had a few extra bits that others didn't...mainly things that I wanted to know about when I was learning (like the ceramic heaters and thermostats :p ) and it also has a few tips that I've picked up from speaking to others. I also think I have a reasonable grasp of english/spelling/sentence structure (if I may say so myself :lol:) so hopefully its an easy, understandable read without too much inaccurate information of typos :).

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
intravenous said:
Before any of the mods moan about this or move it...I have put this in the snake section rather than the care sheet section because I'd like other people to review it for me first :) .

It is all written by me so before I show it to anyone as a proper care sheet I'd like people who're more in the know to tell me what they think. Is anything incorrect? Am I missing anything you think should be in a care sheet? Any tips and any typos you noticed?

http://www.intravenous.org.uk/boaconstrictorcare

Any comments would be very much appreciated :D .

The reason I'm writing a care sheet when there are already so many out there is that a) I'm making a website, b) I will soon have a boa and incase any of my friends take an interest in boas after seeing my one I'd like them to have a direct link to the basic care of one. I'd be really upset if any pet of mine inspired a friend to go out and impulse buy a pet when they didn't know how to care for it properly (I will be doing one for tropical fish too because so many people don't realise the care involved with these either).

It's not quite finished yet as you can see...I'll post up the feeding/cleaning/shedding/handling bit later.
i dont think the size bit at the top is correct, snake size = length + width of tank. but thats me. for example BRB dont need a tank 6ft by 2ft and they grow to 8ft

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
no a good general rule for viv size is to allow one sqaure ft of floor space for every ft in length the snake is i.e an 8ft brb as an example in a viv 4x2ft would be an ok size

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the care sheet is for boa constrictors, not snakes in general...I refer to "snakes" at some points because I can't be bothered typing out boa constrictor every time.

Obviously things like tree boas won't need as long a vivarium and they'll need extra height...I don't know much about rainbow boas but again, it says "boa constrictors" at the top :p . I don't think its an unfair rule for boa constrictors...it may overestimate a bit but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
some keepers say also, to use a light source in the day if using ceramics etc where no light source is obvious, unless in a well light room, ive heard many cases of boas being aggressive without the day/night light cycle

Just a thought:no1:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
jolly good,two points however:
1:i have lots of plastic rainbow rock cages in use and heat insulation with them is positively awful,not much difference to glass.
2:when it come to regurgitating boids the primary cause is damage to the stomach wall which results in decreased numbers of acid secreting cells,it is the acid that is the crux of digestion in snakes,hence when regurgitation rears its head you get the characteristic "digested head end"(assuming it went down head first) rodents comming back up after typically 24-48hours regardless of heat provided.
regards gaz

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jolly good,two points however:
1:i have lots of plastic rainbow rock cages in use and heat insulation with them is positively awful,not much difference to glass.
2:when it come to regurgitating boids the primary cause is damage to the stomach wall which results in decreased numbers of acid secreting cells,it is the acid that is the crux of digestion in snakes,hence when regurgitation rears its head you get the characteristic "digested head end"(assuming it went down head first) rodents comming back up after typically 24-48hours regardless of heat provided.
regards gaz
Thanks, I'll try and include that when I get a chance. What normally causes damage to the stomach wall in captive animals? Rough handling?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
some keepers say also, to use a light source in the day if using ceramics etc where no light source is obvious, unless in a well light room, ive heard many cases of boas being aggressive without the day/night light cycle

Just a thought:no1:
Mine doesn't have a light source in his cage and hes a placid little guy, but I leave the room light on during the day and off in the night...I should maybe mention some sort of light should be present :smile:.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Thanks, I'll try and include that when I get a chance. What normally causes damage to the stomach wall in captive animals? Rough handling?

now if we knew that we'd be cooking on gas,regurgitation syndrome proper,usually found in etbs/redtaill boas has no specific cause known,also has no formal cure,cases that have been cured may not have been ERS,typically ERS does not need any trigger to appear,it can arrive out of the blue with cb etb's up to 6 years old,though is normally assosciated with fresh imports,info from the USA suggests that it may indeed be environmental,some keepers i know have had major successes acclimating wc etb's,these guys have personal collections of close to 100 etb's apeice,and while they do come across cases of ERS its become quite rare for them personally,anyways i digress.
however for the purposes of most forum users,any regurgitation they come across will most likely be a one off event caused by handling/transport or low temps combined with freshly fed snakes,and as such not likely to be fatal.
occassionally as we all know "bad" batches of rodents can also cause this,with assosciated deaths.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts