Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have a large water bowl, a large hide, 4 medium hides...what else do I need? I was planning on getting one more hide and some branches/vines/frames but I don't know what to choose from :? .

Do you get any snake "climbing frames"? How do the vines and branches and such connect together?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i've got shelves in mine for more floor space and because they like to be above ground level as babies, i've also got climbing logs and am getting loads of fake plants to hide the wood at the back of the viv, cant see why you need more than 5 hides so long as there is one at the cool end one at the warm end and i always put one in the middle, i've got two water bowls both big enough to soak in, having two helps with humidity in a large viv.
What substrate are you using, i use orchid bark, i think it looks great and also helps hold moisture better than paper or beech chips.
Just make sure that any climbing things you put in are very secure so that they dont fall down when the snake climbs on them.
I had an idea to hold fake plants to wood as the suction cups dont work, if you buy the assembly blocks that you get with furniture (the little white ones with three holes in) then you can screw these into the viv wall and the "stalk" of the fake plants fits in the spare hole quite nicely and they slide out easily for cleaning or rearranging., hope that last bit makes sense, anyway, good luck and lets see some pics when your done.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
markhill said:
i've got shelves in mine for more floor space and because they like to be above ground level as babies, i've also got climbing logs
How do you secure all this to the vivarium?

cant see why you need more than 5 hides
People always say that a young snake will get stressed when put in a large vivarium but I wanted to just get the adult viv now so am trying to make it more comfortable for the snake by adding lots of hiding places

hope that last bit makes sense
Not really :oops: , I shall ask the other half...he is more DIY inclined so he might know.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
the little blocks look like this, sorry about the very crude drawing, they can be used to hang the plants on and also for putting the shelves up,i used them on the wall , get them from b&q for about £7 for 100, and used a piece of 2x2 timber to support it, i would post some pics to show you, but i am currently waiting for a USB lead for my camera to be delivered so i cant put any pics on my pc atm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
People always say that a young snake will get stressed when put in a large vivarium but I wanted to just get the adult viv now so am trying to make it more comfortable for the snake by adding lots of hiding places
best thing to do is put him in a small contico tub (or ice cream tub) with a hide and water, place the tub in the big viv, leave him a couple of days then open the lid back (just enought for him to get in and out the tub), then in a couple of days remove the lid completeley leaving the tub inside for a while longer. depending if the snake doesnt bother going back in the tub you can remove this also in a couple more days time but leave it in as long as he keeps using it. this will minimise stress and make for a much easier transition to a larger viv.
also if you have him in a small viv at the mo you could use that like the tub (if it fits into the bigger viv!)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rossthedon said:
...also if you have him in a small viv at the mo you could use that like the tub (if it fits into the bigger viv!)
I don't have the snake yet...I'm waiting for everything to be right before I get one :p . I do have a small plastic tub...I guess I could put it in to start with :) .

Totally off topic...but you're the guy with the Scottish reptile rescue? Where about is it?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
markhill said:
the little blocks look like this, sorry about the very crude drawing, they can be used to hang the plants on and also for putting the shelves up,i used them on the wall , get them from b&q for about £7 for 100, and used a piece of 2x2 timber to support it, i would post some pics to show you, but i am currently waiting for a USB lead for my camera to be delivered so i cant put any pics on my pc atm.
They are called conti-blocks if you ask for them in a shop. Obviously used for building with conti-board (laminated chipboard)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts