Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, In general I'm used to keeping kingsnakes but recently bought a baby common boa that had already shed twice. I noticed he's already 2 weeks over shedding for me, so a few questions... when I'm checking on him I've noticed his head changes from light to dark in 24hrs, he shows no sign of glazed eyes. Without a doubt the most reclusive but lovely snake I've kept, never ever comes out of his hide, but health wise he seems fine.... active enough once I lift him out of the viv. Anyway, I've put some damp schagnum in and mist the tank daily but i'm a bit worried it's either too wet or dry, any comments appreciated, all the best, Phil

·
Registered
549 Posts
i had this problem with a boa i kept some years ago ,the boa i had was 3 weeks over due for shedding . his skin looked very dry and crinkly i put him in a tub of Luke warm water and put the tub back in his viv and left him for a few hours .during the time in the tub he was moving about all the time and after some time he shed his skin all in one piece. bare in mind though that the water in the tub was not very deep as did not want to drown my snake . another way to help is put him in a tub with spag moss (dampened) and put the lid back on then put the tub back in the viv and he should shed if he is ready .

·
Registered
549 Posts
if his eyes have not glazed over i would say that he is not ready for shedding the boa i mentioned in the previous posting did on regular occasions change colour he would go from light to dark and then back to a light colour why he did this i dont know i didnt worry about it as he was feeding and healthy and brill to handle , boas will also shed when they are ready to, the more you feed them the quicker they grow, hence the quicker they grow the more they shed your boa may have had a sudden growth spurt and now has just slowed down a little

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
About the going light and dark thing, mine does that mate, often, even if she's just shed a few days ago. Sometimes she looks her normal pale grey, sometimes a tanned brown kinda thing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads, I thought he had some skin problems lol or i was slow roasting him with the heatmat.... really weird how they can change like that in such a short time, any idea's? Will keep an eye on him with the shed process, and once he shows will try the sphagnum tub, all the best, Phil

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
generally Boas will change colour through out the day, so there is nothing to worry about, a suggestion for you ios to change to a ceramic heating system as boa prefer the heat from above, but the choice is yours, Snakes are wonderful yet mysterios creatures, you think you have their routines sussed but they can soome change it, as previously stated they shed as they grow,

my suriname went through a period of growing in length and not in girth, then stopped and went the other way, so her shedding pattern wasnt regular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts