Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i got a common boa on the 11th of october, shes just over 1 year old and id guess shes around 3ft. We fed her last monday and to me it looks like she hasnt digested it yet as she still has a buldge on her. also she hasnt pooed yet. I'm quite worried so if anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know. Also if she was going to regurgitate her food would she have done it by now? thanks people

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
young boas can be a bit wide around the middle, you sure it's feeding bump?

In my experience regurge always happens round about 24 to 48 hours after feeding. But depending on cause it could take longer I suppose. I wouldn't worry so much about pooping, mine tends to wait a while then unload a bucket full. Giving them a bath in shallow tepid water tends to encourage them to poop if they fancy a go.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I fed her just one large mouse and to me it still looks like the feeding lump and just before her tail looks a tiny bit swollen aswell
Sounds like she has a little gas, and needs a good poop.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My 8 month old Common is on a large weaner rat every 10 days.
The rat leaves a large bump, and it takes her a while to digest it. She also decided that holding her poo for 4 weeks was a good idea, a warm bath and a gentle massage helped as I found out the following day!

Apart from the possibly too small food size, I'd say there's probably nothing wrong, as mentioned they like to hold their poo for a while.
And even when dead empty our girl still has a 'roundness' to her.

One thing, what temperatures have you got?
A temperature that's too low may cause slower digestion.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Put her into a tub with a lid. Put in an inch to an inch and a half (about as deep as she is) of warm/tepid water and let her soak for 20-30 mins. This will usually encourage defecation.

It sounds like she's a little constipated. Make sure you keep an eye on her whilst she's soaking.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, im sure the pet shop said they was large mice and theyre definatly big enough for her but they could of said something else. gonna fone the shop tomorrow anyway just to make sure. and about the bathing, what temperatures good for it? thanks again

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks guys, im sure the pet shop said they was large mice and theyre definatly big enough for her but they could of said something else. gonna fone the shop tomorrow anyway just to make sure. and about the bathing, what temperatures good for it? thanks again
ball park I'd say 25 to 30 degree but I don't measure it. I just test with my hand, if I can barely feel any temp difference it's pretty close and it'll soon cool. You'll know if it's too hot or cold. What's moderately warm to us is pretty hot to them.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
ball park I'd say 25 to 30 degree but I don't measure it. I just test with my hand, if I can barely feel any temp difference it's pretty close and it'll soon cool. You'll know if it's too hot or cold. What's moderately warm to us is pretty hot to them.
A little cooler but as Dave says it shouldn't feel hot on your skin, just tepid so not even warm. I never measure either so can't give you an actual temperature. You'll soon know by your snake's reaction whether it's too hot or too cold because they'll shift like lightning!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
her basking area at the one end is around 33/34 C and the other end of viv is about 26/27. people keep saying put the temp up a bit but she doesnt even go to the warmer end anyway lol and when she does she comes back about 5 mins later

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Reading through the thread again I really wouldn't worry at this point, especially not if she seems fairly content. Do the bath thing and see if she dumps. Monitor for a few days and see how she does. If you're still concerned mid week then consider a vet opinion.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
She probably fed a mouse rather then rat to keep the cost's down in the shop she seems to often feed smaller then what they can take.

Its pretty common practice with pet shops and breeders to feed less often or smaller for cost's.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'd say you need to bring both the hot and cold end temps down a few degrees.

And there's nothing wrong with feeding mice. Occasionally some snakes will refuse to take rats when they're big enough but in my experience this hasn't been a problem with boas who are usually very good feeders.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She probably fed a mouse rather then rat to keep the cost's down in the shop she seems to often feed smaller then what they can take.

Its pretty common practice with pet shops and breeders to feed less often or smaller for cost's.

she did mention that tbh but she said she gave 2 at a time which personaly i dont like doing because of a bad past experiance

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.