Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased a new house where the wife and I get our own offices, the wife agreed for me to have a snake again :)

(Before we met I was breeding both Tarantulas and Royals).

This will be my 'office slash desk slash vivarium' build log. It will take a while but I post as I go along. Maybe there'll be updates daily, maybe sometimes nothing for two weeks. I highly depend on delivery time lines and cash flow and the sorts.

I had a deposit put down on an Albino Eclipse BCI 0.1 - but the breeder had heating issues caused by a contractor which killed several animals, including this one so I am still thinking about the replacement. Plus shipping isn't possible due to the weather anyway so plenty of time.

Anyway, so I am building an 8x3x3 enclosure and use as a template the method posted on a very old video posted by 'The King of DIY' on YouTube where he builds a plywood aqarium.

Anyway - here the stand with still some parts missing (already completed now though)

Alongside the newly constructed 'desk' with completed stand.

I am currently waiting for all the plywood to finish the desk and the stand / vivarium.

The vivarium will have a few things that I haven't seen that often. From a small ish waterfall running into the 'waterbowl', heated pump and drainage system, custom background, bio active all the way to automatic ventilation to regulate humidity and so on. I say 'will have a few things'.

It really depends if it works out or not. Having a plan is one thing, execution a whole other. Maybe half way in running without a snake I find out the whole thing doesn't work lol - so we shall see.

One thing I noticed is that the cost is already a lot higher than expected ... But with just one snake I want to do it right.

I used to own about 15 Ball Pythons, bred blue eyed lucys (Super Lessers) and whatnot - now with just one snake I can go all out :)

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out - that's one strong cabinet / stand

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit ott lol. But I liked the build technique so I just followed it. I did use smaller boards (2x3 instead of 2x4) but yea - it’ll survive an earthquake lol

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Nice to see someone putting a lot of time and effort into building an more than 'ok' enclosure for the snake.

I wish I had some DIY skills, currently looking for a desk to place in my reptile room but would prefer to build one which can incorporate an enclosure somewhere, no idea where to begin haha!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can make more pictures but look at the YouTube video I mentioned. It shows how to easily build something like that. The desk is build as the same principle as the stand :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bit of an update - took ages to get the wood but now got all material to progress. Due to the weight I need to finish the stand first, including painting (otherwise won't be able to move it again lol). So finished the stand construction, the 'wrapping' at the front ready for doors and some wood filler.

Next is sanding and painting ... oh and figuring out how to create the doors.

Also as mentioned, the intended Boa died due to an accident at the breeder but potentially getting a Key West Sunglow Het Moonglow instead. Sub Adult (2018) - which is probably better anyway - should be better in terms of shipping (comes from Germany).

That's her :

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally some progress ... I realise now how HUUUGE it is lol ...

Lol and ignore them socks ... they are OBVIOUSLY not part of the enclosure - they are just to help with depth perception of the clamps as they are very long and you can easily poke your eye out.

I tell you what though - it isn't easy to do an 8ft enclosure by yourself - you need to come up with all sorts of ideas to handle it yourself ...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glass runners on the way is resin to seal it. Next step after that - background and waterfall build.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoever intends to build a vivarium that size - get help lol ... logging a 8fx3x3 vivarium around by yourself is no fun lol ... but got it done ... next, sanding, painting outside and silicone and sealing on the inside.

In the US they all seem to use Pond Shield, but that costs a fortune here. I found this :

Anyway ... that's that for today - I am knackered.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Why are you intending to coat the interior with epoxy. Just apply a couple coats of mat varnish and then use HA6 aquarium silicone to seal the joints. It will look good when the screw holes are filled and the wood stained and varnished :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The outside will be painted in the same gloss as the stand. The inside will be sealed with pool resin as it will be bio active including a ‘spa’ area lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,767 Posts
That is pretty amazing!

Just wondering when it is all finished how are you going to get to those sockets/points, reach the blind, open/close the window or do 'anything' to the radiator?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With determination lol. There is still room to the right and it will eventually move. Speaking of radiator, I had a plumber in to change the valve and he didn’t even flinch lol.
As for when. ASAP. Today I will do sanding and wood filling followed by painting.
As soon as the resin arrives I start the inside. Hopefully less than a month.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
The outside will be painted in the same gloss as the stand. The inside will be sealed with pool resin as it will be bio active including a ‘spa’ area lol.
Paint over that lovely wood grain... So you going to add a pond inside, presumably with filtration ? - Don't forget adding a suitable sized drain pipe to aid regular cleaning.

If the radiator is run in the winter then I would make the end nearest that radiator the hot side to give a decent thermal gradient

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Oh yea got everything planned. From heated filtration to 2” drain.
Ok. now we want plenty of photos and regular updates... none of this blue peter malarkey and "here's one I made earlier !!" and showing the final result

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found some large hides. That was unexpected. I thought I need to build my own 'Boa friendly sized' hide.

I even considered Pond Filter Covers like that : Pressure Filter Rock Cover Small

But they are constantly sold out and not cheap.

And then oh ... Exo Terra ACTUALLY released 'new' stuff .. so I found .... a Tortoise cave lol

They are actually perfect as they are relatively flat on the top as well so it will be a good basking spot ...

And yea - they are large ... They are 15.7" x 11.4" x 8.6"

Oh and reasonable priced - 30 quid or so each (bought two)

Enclosure is sanded ... painting and sealing this week(end) and then the start in actually kitting it out. Still waiting for my ECHs, fittings and thermostats but apart from that I got everything (finally) - well apart from the filter for the 'pond' - but that I can get within 24hrs.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts