Reptile Forums banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
First one covered ... holy bleep does that require a lot of silicone ... One panel = three tubs .... Glad I bought 24 or so but still .... somewhat unexpected ... and I still got gaps on this one

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

I think 98% of spots covered - pretty proud of my very first background if I am honest.

Oh and the sides are not covered on purpose. Once the panels are mounted in the viv I will close the gaps with foam and effectively connect the panels and viv itself in addition to the screws (and cover said screws of course).

The good thing is that I know where the screws are (in fact I will make a picture once hung up and pre-coverage) so I can take a knife to if boards need to come off.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Mock up time. As mentioned I want a pool area lol - maybe waterfall ... anyway ... mocked the basin up (40x50x15cm or 15.7x19.6x6")

That's 30 litres or 6.6 UK / 8 UK gallons :)

It will have a drain and pump with filter - assuming I go with waterfall - not 100% yet ... I got all the material but need to mock that also up to decide.

PS: That isn't the substrate for the snake - that's background soil as I am using the viv to build those.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Mock up time. As mentioned I want a pool area lol - maybe waterfall ... anyway ... mocked the basin up (40x50x15cm or 15.7x19.6x6")

That's 30 litres or 6.6 UK / 8 UK gallons :)

It will have a drain and pump with filter - assuming I go with waterfall - not 100% yet ... I got all the material but need to mock that also up to decide.

PS: That isn't the substrate for the snake - that's background soil as I am using the viv to build those.
Acrylic for waterbowl arrived. Hole for drain a bit too small so need to wide it but apart from that - looking good.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
First time I created a background with foam. Or any background for that matter.
And at the same time potentially one of the larger ones ...

The whole thing including sides is 12' long and 2.5' high.

Took 10 Foam Gun Cans of foam and 20 ! silicone tubes.

Surprisingly took very little substrate ...

Left side:

Middle part:

Right side:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Have you kept a running total of the cost so far - one to share with us, and the other to tell your wife!
I did initially and gave up. I spend a lot of money on things that didn't work out. For instance, spent tons on decent pulse stats and ceramics, just to find out the ceramics weren't big enough to then change direction with heat panels by Russ here on the forums that need on off stats ... Wood alone was about £1k and at that stage it is nearly impossible to say 'too expensive I stop' - you are so deep in you may as well finish.

I had big plans including waterfall etc. - that idea now went out of the window as it just takes too much room away (waterfall and plumbing). Another cost that isn't utilised (rocks, foam, filter, tools, cutting mat etc. etc.).

Then I bought large tortuise hides you can see here - which are likely too small so ended up ordering other stuff.

So yea I have given up counting. At the end of the day, I will only ever have one snake so may as well go all in.

But in terms of cost, guestimate :

Wood : £1k
Resin : £150
Paint : £150
Nails / screws : £GotNoClue
Foam : £200
Silicone : £60
Stats : £400 (for all including the ones I am not using)
Ceramics : £150 (which I won't be using)
Hides : £150 (which I won't be using)
Heat panels : £300 (650W and 350W)
Cork : I don't even want to know

And the list goes on. Looks like I will need at least 500L substrate - which is pretty much the only stuff missing (plus cleaning up crew etc.)

The good thing: Snake : £0 as it is a rescue ...

One thing will still happen though despite the lack of waterfall .. The DIY waterbowl will be plumbed in as I cannot be bothered to constantly remove it and disturb the substrate and decorations etc. so it will have a 2" drain. So for fresh water I just open up the drain and chuck it down into a bucket ... Should be also large enough (the drain that is) for poop.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Another example of wasted money and stuff I didn't anticipated. Due to the backgrounds, the lamp fitting now won't fit lol .. just never ending

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
But in terms of cost, guestimate :

Wood : £1k
Either you are buying from the wrong supplier or you are way out on that....

I built this 2.2m x 4.8m roll off roof observatory a few years back and the total cost of the wood was less than £1000, and half that was for the tong and grove shiplap. I would have estimated the cost for your build at around £160 for 4 sheets of 8' x 4' ply, and possibly another £150 for the framework... At most £400-450 and that's being conservative based on B&Q prices...

The build is coming along nicely....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@Malc Timber prices were super high when I bought them. For example, a friend was building a house and was getting quotes 18 months ago for the timber work - quote was £150k ... lots of issues that caused said 18 months delay. Same timber work for his house today : £270k .... Also the problem was getting those cut. I have no means in cutting 8' x 4' boards so I had to order cut to sized ones which likely added to the cost. Also the stand itself is overkill and build out of 2x4s .. one 8ft 2x4 alone is between 5-8 quid depending where you buy and if untreated or not.

The ply is 18mm ply so that won't come to £160 for 4 sheets but sure .. it could have been cheaper but as I say - the problem was room as well so I relied on 'cut to size' delivery.

I went to our local B&Q as well asking to cut to size and for 4 months the machine was broken and they boards they had in stock were 75 quid each.

Anyway - there is not point in now dwelling on the fact it could have been cheaper. I am sure it could have and I am sure other people would have done a better job.

This is the first time I build well ... anything myself so a LOT of money was spend on tools lol ... I had a screw driver at a push and now garage looks like a DeWalt merchant.

Anyway, don't care now. I compare it with buying a PC or components for it. If you wait for a better price, you always wait and 100% of the time you bought too high as 2 weeks later the prices drop half lol ....

It is what it is now .. onwards and upwards.

One thing is for sure - I hope I won't be alive when this thing needs to go - that isn't going anywhere lol..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I just checked ... ply was £690 and 2x4s where just over 200 quid for 40 8ft slaps (didn't use all of them for the stand obviously).

It appears the cost of 1k also included a router to get the window cut out lol ...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just checked ... ply was £690 and 2x4s where just over 200 quid for 40 8ft slaps (didn't use all of them for the stand obviously).

It appears the cost of 1k also included a router to get the window cut out lol ...
Who cares about the cost, it's your baby, you have built to your requirements and expectations, and for a first time attempt - all on your own - good on you, and am sure you and your lovely snake will be very happy with the finished product. When I kept marine fish I would spend hours and hours just sat looking and watching, and am sure you will do the same.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Who cares about the cost, it's your baby, you have built to your requirements and expectations, and for a first time attempt - all on your own - good on you, and am sure you and your lovely snake will be very happy with the finished product. When I kept marine fish I would spend hours and hours just sat looking and watching, and am sure you will do the same.
Absolutely ... aside the cost I am pretty proud how it worked out for a first time. At least the equipment that I purchased wrongly won't go to waste. Will drop it all off at the rescue centre I am getting the boa from :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Absolutely ... aside the cost I am pretty proud how it worked out for a first time. At least the equipment that I purchased wrongly won't go to waste. Will drop it all off at the rescue centre I am getting the boa from :)
Win, win situation- perfect.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
--- £700 for ply.... struth..... Not wanting to get into a pissing contest, but a quick google and the average price for an 8 x 4 of 12mm ply is £25 a sheet inc VAT form builders merchants. Heck even external grade ply is just a quid more... I mean at most there is 5 sheets, so you should have had change form £150... 12mm ply from Wickes is just £32 - taking the cost to £160

It's a cracking build, and if you have a couple of grand to throw at it all well and good, its your cash.... but for anyone else following along and wanting to do the same then I would advise more research into the cost of the materials be done. It can be done a lot cheaper without compromising the quality.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts