Reptile Forums banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
If anyone need a great selection of cork, I can highly recommend The Cork Shed

I found some nice branches there. Here I am playing with the hard scape a bit until I finished the substrate.

The main one is nearly 4' in length and weights .. well a lot ... So should be stable enough for an adult boa.

That's for the hot side. It will of course all move a bit with substrate and waterbowl. But that's just an idea.

From another angle. These are four different branches interlocked - it's surprisingly stable. Hopefully interlocking and over 6" substrate means I don't have to foam them in.

So in terms of shipping. They actually build a box for the big one. Delivery must have cost them a fortune. But they managed to ship it perfectly from the Isle of Wight.

Highly recommend !

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Thanks so much for that recommendation!!

I'm in the process of planning my next enclosure and in need of a lot of cork!

Never heard of this company before :)
If anyone need a great selection of cork, I can highly recommend The Cork Shed

I found some nice branches there. Here I am playing with the hard scape a bit until I finished the substrate.

The main one is nearly 4' in length and weights .. well a lot ... So should be stable enough for an adult boa.

That's for the hot side. It will of course all move a bit with substrate and waterbowl. But that's just an idea.

From another angle. These are four different branches interlocked - it's surprisingly stable. Hopefully interlocking and over 6" substrate means I don't have to foam them in.

So in terms of shipping. They actually build a box for the big one. Delivery must have cost them a fortune. But they managed to ship it perfectly from the Isle of Wight.

Highly recommend !

Reactions: Bombjack

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thanks so much for that recommendation!!

I'm in the process of planning my next enclosure and in need of a lot of cork!

Never heard of this company before :)
They are fantastic and pieces are great. Not always the cheapest but the pieces are quality. I ordered some cork somewhere else and it was literally falling apart. Those ones are rock solid and I love the natural look.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
They are fantastic and pieces are great. Not always the cheapest but the pieces are quality. I ordered some cork somewhere else and it was literally falling apart. Those ones are rock solid and I love the natural look.

View attachment 351437
Admittedly I do usually buy the bulk cork from various websites and they are usually really good (reptile centre,swell or bioactive herps) but i'll compare costs and see what suits :)

Reactions: Jibbajabba

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Right. Done. Here some pictures. Just running in temps etc., making sure it is all good before picking up the noodle from the rescue center. One thing I noticed though - which is the reason for using fake plants at the moment.

The backgrounds I created are almost too thick for their own good. They are a perfect insulator. Which means any plant lamp will heat up the enclosure too quickly and the insulation causes it to stay that hot for too long, causing the cold side to get up to hot side temps eventually, especially once the wood, hides etc. have been heated through.

So maybe one day if / when I got enough of the backgrounds I rip em out again (or until I care enough to put more ventilation in), I will put plant lamps in, until then - fake plants will do.

In the middle you can just about see the waterbowl ... In this thread you noticed (maybe) that I build one out of arcylic .. That eventually exploded during testing despite using proper acrylic cement. So I went with a storage box again.

The original hides I wanted to use (tortouise caves) they are too short for the adult lady to fit. So 'Giant' plastic hides will do.

So whilst it didn't turn out the way I envisioned (no waterfall) - I think it came out nicely anyway. And yes, the branches will be strong enough for the adult boa. My 6yr sat on the branches so it will hold a boa. Branches are foamed in. Tried to sort of rip them out for testing, but they are solid.

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Increase the ventilation, place a vent low down on the cool side and high up on the hot. This will draw in air from the cool side and pass hot air out the hot side, and help maintain a thermal gradient.

I think the added thermal insulation such backgrounds provide is often overlooked.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
@Malc Wife just had an idea as she thought 'spend more money' - drilled some 'strategic' 30mm (well 29mm) holes as you say, bottom ish of cold and top of hot side.

If that isn't good enough I can either

a. Add more
b. Make em bigger
c. Add PC fans to the outside

But I 100% agree - the backgrounds add a massive amount of insulation. People that struggle to keep temps or humidity up should take that as an idea to improve things.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Smart woman :)

You may need to add some form of grill or cover... snakes tend to push hard at any hole or gap they find, even though they are too fat to fit through it....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Run out of time and had to pickup the rescue snake. As it turns out they don't really know her age, only that her name is Ruby and they guess it is about 8-10-12yrs old. She was due a feed the day I picked her up so they obviously didn't. Will let her settle in her home for a week before feeding.

One thing I noticed is that she seems a perma-hider ... Rescue center told me she is always in her hide 24/7 so I hope she gets used to a larger enclosure now (center had her what I believe was a 4ft enclosure).

Temps / humidity are perfect and she sits in the cold hide right now.

As I say - I do hope she 'warms' up - figuratively and literally and shoes her beautiful face. She is a puppy to handle. Once she is out (didn't handle her apart from taking out of cage at rescue center and putting into her new cage at home) she is very interested what's going on and even seems to 'cuddle up' with you - as in, chills on you without being head shy.

The only other adult boa I ever had was very active, but this one ... not so much ... I guess that is another risk with rescue snakes, you never know what you're getting. Plus she has been in that tiny viv since August 2020 and based on the thermostat had a 26C enclosure ... I seriously hope that was the cold side - poor thing. But as I say - I leave her alone for a while and probably cover the glass of the viv to give her some privacy ...

Anyway - here she is - I would GUESS about 8-10ft. - below is a 64L rub for size comparison.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Lovely looking boa... now don't forget to feed her a 1kg rabbit in a pillow case every week, and if she refuses to eat and fast for more than two weeks ring the vets immediately :) (private joke before anyone flames me :) )

Don't get too hung up on the temperatures... so long as she has access to 32C and somewhere where she can cool down when required she'll be fine. My male typically spends most of the day at the cool side, or mid way. The only time i see him spending days under the heater is straight after a feed, or when darkening down just before a shed.... Mind you at 8' 5" he can have his head at he cool side and lower couple of feet under the heater :)

Well done for giving this old girl a new forever home and taking the burden off the rescue centre... (y)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Yea she got 32C/90F ish at the top of the branch right under the panel, hot side ambient is about 84F / 28C ish - hot hide is a bit cooler I think but cool side goes down to minimum 78F / 27C (using second panel) or whatever the ambient goes up to depending on room temperature ... that is where is hangs about right now.

I am just glad she is such a puppy .. My son was looking forward to her and would have been sad if I'd say she is too skittish to touch. Even wife who hates snakes likes her.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts