Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you exercise your larger snakes? I keep my boa in a 5x2x2 and to date he has been allowed the hallway stairs and landing to exercise in, every where else is out of the question because i have furries in the living room and other rooms are impractical due to his amazing climbing abilities and destructive nature. However hes so terribly lazy and can often be found curled up asleep.

I do not have sufficient space in the garden and now it is cold that's no good anyway. So, what do you do?

Marina:)

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I keep mine in 6 x 2 x 2's typically, they don't get a huge amount of exercise, but we don't feed them a lot either. Exercise is in the form of handling, forages on the bed and sofas, but I am not that keen about just letting snakes go on the floor, more for the health/safety, because I have dogs, and I have no idea what sort of crap, dirt and bacteria is smudged into the carpet (I do vaccuum, but hopefully you know what I mean)

Bath is also good exercise or just adding stimulation to the viv, like having shelves, climbing things, logs, hides, a big water bowl... also, I have found having a thick layer of substrate like aspen to burrow in stimulates a lot more activity than sitting on newspaper, just because they like to bury themselves and explore it.

2 or possibly 3 of my 7 foot + common females are currently gravid, and the other is in with a male right now so handling and stress is kept to a minimum to be honest.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
I just used to let my burm wander about the floor and generally create havoc until he decided he wanted to go back in the viv (generally took about an hour).

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol i offered him a bath once and he literally jumped straight out, i like mine hot i guess he doesn't........i joke!!

He's not fond of sitting in water and being 8ft is more than a handful.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
they fight me every cleaning day:lol2:
regards gaz

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
How do you exercise your larger snakes? i have furries in the living room
What sort of furries? My dog is in the living room and doesn't worry about snakes nor they him. I also keep scalies (rankins dragons=potential prey) in living room and all my snakes come out there (obviously safely in their vivs as it's evening and they are asleep). The pythons will exercise more than boas I've found - my bci is pretty lazy and tends to hang about on me - lazy git! Crawl cay just sits and guards me from his perch on top of the sofa ...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
put branches shelves and logs and build a taller viv that will keep him fit

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small edible furries so the living room is a no go. Plus i worry more what the snake would do to the dog since they have never crossed paths its something i would rather prevent than have to cover via vet bill.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
like i said build i bigger viv and get some levels in the for him to climb on

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I'm in the process of blocking off all troublesom spaces in my room, under units and stuff, so I can just let them explore about the room, without worrying about having to fish them out from under draws and stuff.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its at its max dimensions now. Plus we are moving soon so perhaps we will see what the new house has to offer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts