Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just built a new viv for my BCC its 6ft heigh x 4ft wide x 2ft deep.

Currently I have a spot light and a 3ft tube heater in there but I don't think the spot is cutting the mustard.

I am thinking of replacing the spot with a ceramic, can a ceramic be run on a Dimmer Stat or will I need a Pulse stat?

I have a ceramic bulb holder but its one of the old egg shaped ones that you need to suspend, can they now be bought in a similar design to a regular spot light holder and screw direct to the roof of the viv?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
you can run a ceramic on a dimmerstat, you also need a ceramic light fitting and heat proof cable.
you can get ceramic holders that screw to the top of the viv, i just cant find a link atm

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be handy if you could find a link mate, I've had a look myself but couldn't find what I wanted.

I will check out South Coast Exotics (My local shop) to see what they have.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Brilliant thanks mate just the job!

I take it the heat resistant cable is from the bulb to the stat - yes?
yes mate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got mine from Emsworth Reptiles and Aquatics. Just on the Farlington Road, Drayton end. Can't remember the price think it was about £10-£15 for the holder came with hook and chain so it can be hung, looking at that the double screw fit would have possibly been better (certainly cheaper). The bulb was 100W and that was about £16. Got the cable from B&Q because it was on the route home.

I am sure I will learn no to buy everything from the Rep Shop.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
With the holders that screw into the roof, just be aware the top of the viv will become warm. I bought the same holder from Maplins because it was cheap... got my heat resistant cable from there too.
The top of my viv is warm, but not too hot to the touch and the wood luckily hasn't been affected by the heat. The porcelain holders that suspend from a hook are probably better for avoiding this - you can buy them direct from Solaris Heat on Ebay as a complete kit with the cable... they produce the ceramic bulbs too so are very well priced.
Don't forget a bulb guard too ;)

·
Banned
361 Posts
hello fellow portsmouth person , i got my lamp holder from wicks was about £2.10 and works a treat. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts