Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

just looking for some advice, I have a boa, just coming up to 2 years old, he has always been the most docile snake and just recently he's getting more aggressive. I don't think he is angry, I think its just a feeding response. Its only ever when we have mice out for feeding or in the day before or after feeding. He has always been fine to handle, very calm. He's never bitten me, he has caught my partner before, but only having missed a rat and caught him instead. The thing that bothers me is he is striking at the glass sometimes just if someone walks past or even if a shadow crosses the tank. I'm worried he will hurt himself and also I am getting quite nervous around him cos I don't know what might set him off. I've thought maybe I'm not feeding him enough, at the moment he is on a small rat every week. He weighs about 1200g. Any advice, thanks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Seems like you've answered your own question there. Does the small rat still leave a lump? You could also try feeding two rats but increase the time between feeds a bit. That would make sure it's not under feeding.

It would also be a good idea to get a large tub to feed it in rather than the viv, to break the association between the viv and food.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've thought maybe I'm not feeding him enough, at the moment he is on a small rat every week. He weighs about 1200g. Any advice, thanks.
A small rat weekly is actually quite a lot for only a 2 year old boa .
It would also be a good idea to get a large tub to feed it in rather than the viv, to break the association between the viv and food.
But then wouldn't the snake then associate being taken out of the enclosure with being fed .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A small rat weekly is actually quite a lot for only a 2 year old boa .

But then wouldn't the snake then associate being taken out of the enclosure with being fed .
The small rat does still leave a lump, I can't imagine moving him up to an even bigger rat, small rats seem huge as it is.

Regarding putting him in a box, I'm much more likely to get bitten by messing with him close to feeding time, Im very nervous of handling him near feeding time because of his reactions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Could he be striking at his own reflection, maybe he is nearing "puberty".

Places such as B&Q sell a frosting that can be stuck onto glass, you will still be able to see him but not clearly, if he is striking at ppl passing this could be an option.

steve

·
Registered
745 Posts
As per removing the snake into a separate box for feeding, in time they will associate being in that box with food rather than the vivarium. They can learn that food does not come into the vivarium and not produce a feeding response to you as easily.

Of course, removing them from their feeding tub back into the viv is much more tricky, but you can always just put the feeding box back in the viv and leave them to come out in their own time if it'll fit.

It might not work for all snakes, but it's a fairly helpful technique.

An alternative is only feeding when the lights have been out for a couple of hours in the evening- although then you have a problem if the light has a fault and you need to get in to fix it (never a fun time).

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I have this problem with my girl at the moment. I am carrying on with her tap training. When she starts hunting i cover the glass with a blanket so she can't see out and feed her the day after. I leave the blanket covering the glass for another 24 hours until she has switched out of feeding and hunting mode. Has worked a treat so far. No more striking at the glass, and am able to interact with her without incident the rest of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts