Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to use baby whipes to clean the inside of the tank and how do you know if ur snake has ticks. dose anyone have pics of a snake with ticks

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
ticks/mites look like little black dots, usually found under the chin and around the vent.
cleaning should be done with a reptile safe disinfectant, i use cascade, get it from any rep shop or online.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cos my boas has lots of wee black dots all over him was just worryd incase thay were

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
mites will come off on your hands, if your worried then take out all of the substrate and bin it, use paper towels, you will see the mites on the paper, i'll leave it to someone else to help with removing mites, i've never had them (touch wood) so i dont know the full details of getting rid of them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no nothing comes off and i use news paper and never found nothing on the paper

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can get a good treatment oil from any good reptile shop, it mainly consists of teetree oil.
you will need to take the snake out of the viv and give it a really good clean with rep safe disinfectant to kill the mite eggs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the guy in the pest shop said i can use baby wipes or a realy cheap bleach pray and use one part bleach and 10 parts water

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really dont think its worth the risk, if the snake ingests it, it could kill it or make it very sick. either way you gonna have a large vets bill.
just get some rep friendly disinfectant, its only about £8 you can use that to clean the viv, if you get a good one it will also kill mite eggs in the viv too,

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
most baby wipes are scented (even if they say non scented they still smell) and most contain lanolin im not sure if this is safe to use in any type of enclosure i know i wouldnt risk it.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
if u think that your snake has mites sorry hun but it most proberly has if you dont know how to get rid of them just do a search on here and there will be loads of topic telling you how to get rid of the wee feckers

·
Registered
726 Posts
Think everyone's a bit confused Bryan i think was talking about cleaning his viv with baby wipes and bleach not his snake. Brian post a pic of where you think it might have ticks and someone will tell you what it is.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
You can buy a cage clean which is used for rodents, but is safe to use on vivariums, you can buy it from wilkinsons,

As for mites, if you are unsure if your snake has them, then i would advise that you get some olive oil(safe to use on the head) from your local chemist, wipe down the snake making sure you wipe off all the oil except from a thin layer,

As for the viv, get some Frontline, clean viv and decorations, apply frontline, allow to sit for 30 mins, wash off, and dry all, then reapply frontline, allow to stand for a futher 15 mins, then wash off again, once all are fully dry they will be safe to use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.