Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 1st boa on saturday (always had pythons) surinam red tail,just wondering can you breed any boa with another boa,if not which ones you can't breed...........

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
if you are getting a surinam red tail i would breed it to another surinam redtail

yes you could breed to other boas but it will devalue the baby boas and they wont look as nice as a true red tail

luke

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
unless you are gona breed it with sum really expensive morph lol

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
as it makes the snake a cross i would rather where ever i can have pure blood snakes rather than a cross that might have a bit more colour

luke

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I personally wouldn't care if It were to be sold as the morph (Like a Salmon) rather than species specific (salmon BCC) because as previously stated it would be a cross

If that makes sence

Horses for courses though

Chris

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
as long as you sell the babies as what they are and dont try and fob them off as some thing they are not there is no problem. its the same with peoples views on hybrids, i personly couldn't care less and in fact i quite like some cross species/hybrids. Breed them with what ever you want mate just sell them as what they are not what will get you the most money!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers folks:2thumb:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I personally wouldn't care if It were to be sold as the morph (Like a Salmon) rather than species specific (salmon BCC) because as previously stated it would be a cross

If that makes sence

Horses for courses though

Chris
yeh but you sell a salmon x bcc as a salmon without them knowing it has bcc in it then that person breeds that sed salmon to a common then he will be selling commons as (bci) when they are infact crosses

but all this is my opinion i would rather have somthing pure

luke

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Guyana and Suriname boas are Boa constrictor constrictor. Colombian and Central American boas are Boa constrictor imperator, a different subspecies and the most common (= least expensive) in the pet trade. Most of the morphs are Boa constrictor imperator, too.

My opnion is that pure Suris are prettier than B. c. constrictor x B. c. imperator crossbreeds. Pure Suris also command considerably higher prices than crossbreeds. Pure Suris are likely to hold their value better than morphs, too, especially crossbreed morphs.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
yeh but you sell a salmon x bcc as a salmon without them knowing it has bcc in it then that person breeds that sed salmon to a common then he will be selling commons as (bci) when they are infact crosses

but all this is my opinion i would rather have somthing pure

luke
Hi Luke - Sorry been out so not had chance to reply to your reply

(Warning - this next bit isn't a rant - you know I love you:2thumb:)

I don't think I got that across correctly

I Didn't mean don't say what it is, but in the same breath don't expect more for having it in there.

Like (for example) To Get Sunset crosses if using a Hogg Island boa and a salmon (not Super) you are more than likely to get 50 % hypo Hogg Islands and 50% Hogg Island crosses - The Hypo Crosses are not worth any more cause they are from Hogg Islands but because of their future genetic potential (in my opinion) and the Hogg x Commons are certainly worth no more than a common due to the Fact there is Hogg Island in there.

The arguments on Crossing and Hybrids are full of pro's and cons.

With the amount of "have a go" and "In it for the money" breeders now are you really ever sure that animals such as specific Locals sold through the trade are "Pure" - I would say no in many cases, whilst if you look at the pattern or color mutations on their own merit the historical origin stigma is more then often ignored (as It is unimportant)

The whole thing about Selective breeding is that you might see a trait in that BCC that might, just might bring something new and exciting when bred with the BCI in question

I would buy a morph cross myself but not attempt to cross one myself

Peace

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
suris shud be kept pure in my opinion, a while back i saw an ad for a albino true suriname red tail, and after a few enquiries i found it was a bcc xbci and they had crossed it with a common, but waqs selling as a true just to add a few £££ to the price. far as im aware there are no true suris that are albino.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
suris shud be kept pure in my opinion, a while back i saw an ad for a albino true suriname red tail, and after a few enquiries i found it was a bcc xbci and they had crossed it with a common, but waqs selling as a true just to add a few £££ to the price. far as im aware there are no true suris that are albino.
Thats right - There are none to my Knowledgem The best it eill bre is a percentage of Suri

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts