Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a newbie so be kind.

I live in Gillingham in Kent and I would like a holiday at some point. Does anyone know of a good place to board my Yellow Bellied baby?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Depending how long you were going away for you may not need to board it.
We feed ours every other day and you could stock the tank with plants for it to graze on and just have someone pop by to feed it once or twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,

What do you do about the light?

I think I would prefer him to be looked after by someone for peace of mind.... I worry :blush:

Edit - Plus I am new to the area so dont have anyone to pop by to check on him

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You could buy a 24hr timer for his lights.
I guess if you don't know anyone and are not happy to leave him alone your best bet is to contact your local exotics shop - maybe they can help you.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I'd imagine that would be fairly hard to do, you couldn't move the tank and any other tank would have to be set up for a while before yours went in there, you'd either have to have two of everything or a very willing person who already had all the equipement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do other people do?

I've always been lucky in the past as my mum was close to me and happy to house sit.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
most exotics shops will already have some form of it setup but it would not really be acceptable conditions i dont think. I cannot think of a single place ive seen terrapins for sale in worthy tanks/setups etc.

But maybe youve just found a hole in the market lol!!

but if i were you i would just stock the tank as said above with plants, if youve a nasty streak about you and you dont mind it, you could buy some lil cheap neons, i am sure your turt would enjoy them once he caught them too...but thats not for everyone's liking, i never did it but it would be an option i think

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
mine are now in the pond so I don't have that trouble anymore buts its a question of everything being on timers and someone comming in to check/feed etc either that or don't have a holiday theres no easy way I have 6 torts, 2 turtles, 2 guinea pigs, 8 birds, 3 hens plus a tropical fish tank you try sorting that one out:gasp: its a good escuse for making freinds you might even find another reptile/tort etc owner near you and can return the favour. I recentley had 9 torts stay while their owner had a weekend away but that didn't need a tank/filter etc I'd offer but don't have a second set off equipement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my terrapin is too stupid to catch fish bless him. He can just about catch a piece of sweetcorn and even then it is a challenge. Bless

The plants sounds likes a good idea.

Ann, blimey, sounds like you have your hands full

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just called an exotic petshop recommended to me by my boss's wife. They are all set up to board terrapins. The boss uses them to board his bearded dragons.

Thanks for the suggestion, I would never have thought about pet shops.

Hope they dont sell him by mistake :eek:mg:

Thanks for your help, no innocent neons need to be sacrificed for my holiday :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
What do other people do?
Put the lamps on timers, overfeed the turt for a week before you go, then go on holiday and don't worry about it, they can easily go a week with no food and it'll do them no harm at all.

As suggested you can stock the tank with plants for it to eat, and snails etc..., you could even use an automatic fish feeder if you wanted but it's really not neccessary.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I was going to suggest an automatic feeder you can get them and set them to fed every 6 hours i think if not even longer o.o.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts