Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is extremely boring, and I know most will say: IT'S JUST A COMMON BCC, but the reason I'm asking a favour from experienced boa keeprs, is that I've very curious where they might have originated from.

If you go to http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html, you'll see several different colours and patterns of BCC's and BCI's depending on what country they originate from.

Mine are definitely not GREY or SILVERISH, they are a lot more yellowish or light brown. Flicking through all the ones there, the closest to mine was actually a Colombiam BCI (as per picture below). The marking on the head, the type of saddles, the colouration, the speckling and the tails colour seem identical.

However I bought them as BCC's and the person who sold them to me didn't know the origin.

Below I'm posting a few pix, and will be glad if you can help me identifying it.

Picture 1: That's the colombian BCI I was talking about

Picture 2: That's my female

Picture 3: Female's head

Picture 4: That's my male

Picture 5: Male's head

If anyone has enough patience, you can flick through that web site and see all the pictures of BCC's and BCI's and make your own judgement.

Many thanks :D

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Looks like a BCI to me (not sure where from though...you might not ever find out because they're probably all interbred forming just a general "common" BCI)

BCC's tails are a much more bright and vibrant shade of red, yours is just a browny red so it could be a columbian? BCC's are the only "true" red tails but Columbian BCI's are sometimes called red tails because of the browny red tail colour.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i have a few here like that and over the years have seen many hundreds of similar boas,all originated in Colombia,all B.c.i,though redtails do occur in Colombia their range does not overlap that of imperator in Colombia.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks people, I had received many replies pointing to it being a Colombian BCI (even from those blokes from that web site I mentioned in my original post).

The only thing that boggled my mind is that you always hear BCI's have 29 saddles, while mine have fewer. But I'm not sure if it's taken into consideration the saddles on the tail as well.

Also, the picture 1 is of a Columbian BCI, and it has the same amount of saddles on its back than mine, so it would be an indication.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think right now, because I always thought I had a BCC and everything is pointing to a BCI.

Let's hope the snakes won't develop any psychological problems when I tell them they are BCI's :lol:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The only thing that boggled my mind is that you always hear BCI's have 29 saddles, while mine have fewer. But I'm not sure if it's taken into consideration the saddles on the tail as well.
I've read up quite a lot on boas and I've never heard that :p . They say BCC's have fewer saddles than BCI's but I've never seen an exact number of saddles quoted :shock: . Sounds a bit silly to me...surely not all the individuals have the same number, I'm sure the natural variation within the species would have allowed individuals with different numbers to be produced. Can anyone confirm this?

Your snakes are pretty anyway, BCC or not :) . How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are now touching 6 foot long, the female is probably 6 1/2 foot long. When I got them 2 years ago they were just over 4 foot long.

I paid £ 100.00 for the female (because she's got the peach belly which you can only clearly see with naked eyes) and £ 90.00 for the male.

I'll put the female with the male this weekend and live them together to see if they will get interested in breeding.

They used to live together for a few months but I separated them, now I'm hoping they will adapt to each other again.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the reason I started the thread was more because you read people saying I HAVE BOAS or I HAVE BCC's or I HAVE BCI's and you can't really tell the difference sometimes.

Also because if you research further, you realise they originate from several different places (only in Brazil alone there must be 20 odd + variations in sizes, colours, etc in wild).

So it would be great if people had kept a habit of identifying the origin of their boas, so that we could appreciate more.

For instance, I'm gonna change my signature to show Colombian BCI :D

Also, I'm very happy with them because they always shed well, are great feeders, strong as a bull, pretty, etc, so I'd not feel hard done even if I had paid more, because they are very special to me to the point I'd not swap them even for a boa morph :wink:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
20 saddles or less counting from the back of the head to the vent is B.c.c,more than this is B.c.i which can have up to 30 or even more saddles,the silvery B.c.i are from Honduras usually while very dark animals are from mexico,in between there is a huge amount of variation,and thats not even counting B.c.nebulosa or B.c.orophias from the carribean and of course all the island forms such as crawl cay,cay caulker,pee pee cay etc etc and hogg islands of course and B.c.sabogae from Panama so you can see that even amongst the boas of the carribean area there is huge potential for miss identification,however most common boas in the trade did and still do originate from Colombia,sometimes interesting animals come in from Nicaragua and El salvador,which have their own variations too.
regards gaz

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to square 1 for me now :(

I counted 17 to 18 saddles from head to vent, so it would be a BCC, although all other indications would point to a BCI.

However the one in picture 1 is a BCI and also has fewer saddles than 20 me thinks :roll:

At this point I can only think I either have a colombian BCI that happens to have fewer saddles, or it may be a cross, but then cross between a colombian bci and ?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
On the link you posted it stated that less than 3% of all snakes are pure bred.

Unless your breeder has told you and has evidence that your snake is from a pure blood line then it is most likely that it is a cross between lots of different things which you will most likely not be able to identify.

Maybe it does have some BCC in it, but it looks mostly BCI. You'll probably just have to live with not knowing exactly though I'm afraid.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh no, don't tell me i'll have to live with this doubt forever :roll: :( :lol:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i make animal 1 to have 18-19 saddles which would make it B.c.c as to the locality,well it doesnt look guyana/suriname so anybodies guess really
regards gaz

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is, I've been getting loads of response from another forum, and also from that boa web site (where I got the picture 1 from). They all say that the markings on the head are typical of colombian bci, and except for the saddle counting, everything else points to being a colombian bci.

The bloke from the boa website said he's convinced it's a colombian bci despite the saddle count, in saying that he said the saddle count might be a consequence of cross breeding at a certain stage, but still the big proportion (say 90 %) of all characteristics of those boas are from colombian bci's.

Anyway, thanks loads for your interest, I really appreciate the help on this because I was really curious to know roughly where they could have originated from :D

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
weelad said:
dont bci's have a the cross markings on the head? not sure where i read that
sometimes yes and sometimes no,the cross head markings are generally typical of B.c.i and never seen on B.c.c,however they are found on a race of dwarf boas on a Venuzuelan peninsula that by rights should be well into the range of B.c.c.
so you can see that cross marks and the same applies to widows peaks are just pointers and cannot be relied upon 100%
regards gaz

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got some news on this subject (don't mean to bore you to death though) :D

I've counted the saddles on the male from neck to vent and he seems to have 21 saddles :!: Bingo :D

The female has fewer, but I don't know if I told you she's got a very pink / peach phase belly, so my guess is that he's a colombian bci, and although she's got nearly all characteristics to be a colombian bci, she is probably a result of a cross between a colombian bci and something else that gave her the pink belly and fewer saddles :roll:

Do it make sense ?

Besides, I'm trying to get them to breed. I'm not sure they will succeed, but if they do do you think it would be fair if I sold them as colombian bci's and the ones that come out with a pink belly I could sell as pink bellied colombian bci ?

I'm not a breeder, so I don't hope to profit from selling snakes, the trouble is, I won't have room for the young, unless it's only a few, so I'd love to sell them giving the buyer some good hint of their origin rather than just sayin: 'I've got some CB boas for sale' :wink:

·
Banned
290 Posts
er, dunno they look like snakes to me

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Elanor, I think we had already reached this conclusion :roll: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts