Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

My boa (5ft) is as gentile as anything, but when foods about.. She turns into a right madam. She struck at my hand (missed) this evening, but I can bet, on a food response strike, she would hold on and never let go. I figure this is a thread worth posting BEFORE I get tagged good and proper and she wont let go!

The main advice I've found on releasing a bite is to hold the head underwater to initiate them letting go. I also found various youtube videos of people holding the jaws and prising them apart again - looked far too difficult and the snakes clearly didn't like it! And then snakebytes did a "snake myths" on pouring various things on the snake - such as mouth wash - to make it let go.

My question is: How have you guys done it for your larger snakes in the past?

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
445 Posts
Step 1) Get camera
Step 2) Post pics
Step 3) If they still haven't let go, go make a coffee they get bored and let go eventually.

That looks susiciously like a macklotts there...

Unfortunately i have no pictures, but my own lovely, sweet macklotts has had 2 chomping sessions, cold water, submerging him didnt help, neither did salt water.
Ive heard vinegar works but ive not tried it.

I just kinda give up and wait till they let go, you might be waiting like 10-20 mins but itll get bored : victory:

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
vinegar does work, personlay i think better than mouthwash as less chemicals : victory:

·
Registered
445 Posts
alternativly, get a snake hook? I use the attic pole for my macklotts now

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha, the photo's a given, I meant after the essentials have been carried out! Ha ha, so you just literally let them let go by themselves when they get bored then? Seems like a lot less hassle! Vinegar? I suppose I'd stop eating my dinner briefly if someone poured vinegar on me..

Josh

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was recently bitten by a sub adult chondro as a feeding response. (Most painful bite ever!). I got him off using my pressurised skooshy bottle set on a sharp and direct nosle. Got him off instantly.
ouchies, at least my macklotts has little teeth, chondros have big teeth ):

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
ouchies, at least my macklotts has little teeth, chondros have big teeth ):
BIG teeth, extremely powerful jaws. I was shocked at how much damage such a little head could do. Well at least after 3 years of keeping chondros ive finally been bitten.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I always use 2ft long littler pickers to feed all my snakes including my royal (better to be safe then sorry) plus im a wimp when it come to snake bites:no1:

I have heard using non alcoholic mouthwash/vinager can make a snake release.

Don't laugh but tickling its tail also MAY help:lol2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always use 2ft long littler pickers to feed all my snakes including my royal (better to be safe then sorry) plus im a wimp when it come to snake bites:no1:

I have heard using non alcoholic mouthwash/vinager can make a snake release.

Don't laugh but tickling its tail also MAY help:lol2:
Ha ha ha, you can't say don't laugh, and then say something funny.. He he, I have 2ft tongs as well, and a snake hook - need a new one though! I've never been bitten by anything but baby royals and carpets, but because of that, if a larger one got me, I realised I wouldn't really know the easiest way to sort it! But there you go! Problem solved: wait!

Josh

·
Registered
572 Posts
Step 1) Get camera
Step 2) Post pics
Step 3) If they still haven't let go, go make a coffee they get bored and let go eventually.

So your telling me you could go make a coffee while say a 25 foot retic is food reponse coiling you? :lol2:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
vinegar does work, personlay i think better than mouthwash as less chemicals : victory:
So, vinegar doesn't contain any "chemicals" then? :lol2:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
just lay down and play dead it works for grizzly bears, so who no's it may work for snakes.................................................

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Sorry - I was being a bit childish! You are absolutely right about the toxicity issue, it was your choice of the word "chemicals" that I was being sarcastic about - even water is a chemical!

I'll bend over the naughty chair for :whip:

Reactions: Sephiroth
1 - 20 of 23 Posts