Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with an interest in Boiga tell me if they know of any "night tiger" phase brown tree snakes in the UK?

These live in northern Queensland only and are very distinctive.

Kind regards

Conners

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi Conners,i'd never heard of it till this thread,i don't consider myself an expert,but i do love my Boiga:flrt:.

Just done a google search,and WOW,they're amazing!Somewhat similar to a Woma Python in patterning and colouration.Do you reckon there's a bit of mimickery going on?

Can't wait to see more available over here,and also in my collection.

I'm keen to see how this thread/your seach will progress,let me know how you get on,and good luck hunting :2thumb:.

Later Gator

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Conners,i'd never heard of it till this thread,i don't consider myself an expert,but i do love my Boiga:flrt:.

Just done a google search,and WOW,they're amazing!Somewhat similar to a Woma Python in patterning and colouration.Do you reckon there's a bit of mimickery going on?

Can't wait to see more available over here,and also in my collection.

I'm keen to see how this thread/your seach will progress,let me know how you get on,and good luck hunting :2thumb:.

Later Gator
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean about similarities with the woma. I'd guess no direct mimicry with the woma itself because it isn't found in north Queensland, but of course juvenile black headed pythons look a lot like womas and even more like the "night tiger", so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was something going on there.

I hadn't heard of them until I was in north Queensland a couple of years ago. The brown ones were all over the place, and the locals explained that the further up the coast you went, the more prominent a pattern the snakes had, until once you got to Cape York they were yellow with red stripes and known as "night tigers".

It looks as if this variety didn't feature in the pet trade until after the door closed on Aussie exports, so unfortunately I can't see how they'll find their way into the UK (at least, not legitimately).

Will definitely keep searching around though, and will PM you if I have any success.

: victory:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.