Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Most real bones are safe as long as they're raw.

I feed mine a mix of: chicken wings, lamb ribs, pork bones, beef bones, duck wings, lambs legs, sheeps head, pigs head, turkey legs, chicken carcass etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't go near but raw bones are usually fine. I took in a dog that at 3 years old was going to be pts. She'd been fed on alot of bones and worn the canine teeth to the pulp then shattered the top of the tooth from chewing on the same side. She is having her £400 - £600 op on Wednesday. I think the previous owner just got the BARF diet very wrong.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My girl gets bones to chew, but I have to be careful on which I get her, she can't have ribs or stuffed bones as she can't bite chunks off them, the ribs just shattered with her. Tryed her on duck wings but the next day she threw up bits of the bones. I get the the huge jumbo beef bones and beef knuckle bones.

She use to get them a lot but I've noticed the tip of one of her bottom k9s has worn down there not pointy any more so she just has her two old ones she don't often bother with them and her antler.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I got my dogs a huge bone for Xmas one year between them and they didn't really bother with it. My guess is sometimes they have things added to them that arnt good for them.

Uts an age old taditional thing...same as cats and mlk, which we all know isn't good..so best look into it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As a treat, I'd say fine, but just keep an eye on the canine teeth. Any ware where you start to see a circular middle bit to the tooth and stop as thats the pulp. My 11 year old collie has them from time to time, he had pulp showing when he came here as he was a failed working dog, again given alot of bones and his hasn't got any worse from the occassional bone which he loves :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the advice everyone! :2thumb: ! i'll go ahead and see if hes alright on them (its for his first birthday) my 'little' hungarian vizsla, the thing is- if hes not occupied then he can get destructive. i'll put some pics up of him soon!!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I think it is worth trying, but bones are never something to leave a dig with unattended.

My dog is raw fed, an expert bone eater...but still accidents happen and you should be there and watching/listening ready to stop the bone eating should anything occur

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Ripley 100% loves raw bones, the bigger and more disgusting the better.

I normally get her a fresh ham bone from Pets At Home as a weekend treat, but on super special occasions she get a fresh raw bone from the butchers which she can spend hours and hours chewing.

I personally would avoid small bones such as chicken and ribs, but its all depends on how big you dog is compared to the bone they are eating.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
akuma 天;11224571 said:
I personally would avoid small bones such as chicken and ribs, but its all depends on how big you dog is compared to the bone they are eating.

I find that my bigger mutt Wils (Inuit) will turn her nose up at big bones. Rio - the staffy cross with half his jaw amputated - will have a bash at anything.
Wils will eat lamb ribs, pork bones, a full chicken, or a turkey leg. But if I give her a pigs / sheeps head, or a large beef bone, she just looks at it with a 'what the f*** do you want me to do with that' look on her face.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
NEVER cooked bones. NEVER chicken bones. NEVER rib bones.

We had a doxie in a couple months ago, 3 years old, had been given cooked pork rib bones to chew for years, and it had been fine for those years. This time, however, the splinters perforated the intestines and the dog went septic and died.

I personally use bully sticks for my girl, because I don't want to the run the risk.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

We had a doxie in a couple months ago, 3 years old, had been given cooked pork rib bones to chew for years, and it had been fine for those years. This time, however, the splinters perforated the intestines and the dog went septic and died.

I personally use bully sticks for my girl, because I don't want to the run the risk.
I knew a 5 year old spaniel choke to death on kibble...would you recommend all dogs stop eating the kibble sold by your vets too?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Really? :bash:

OMG OXYGEN GIVES YOU CANCER! EVERYONE STOP BREATHING!

Food: Necessary for survival. Very rare choking hazard, especially in dogs and cats.

Bones: Entertainment for animals. Not required for survival, significantly more risk than food.

The rib bones case happened just a few months ago. There have been others that have required surgical removal due to bones obstructing intestines, bone splinters lacerating the throat, a cat at my old work that also died from perforation because of chicken bones, etc. Problems from chewing on bones are not all that rare.

However, if YOU want to risk a multi-thousand dollar surgery, and the potential death of your pet to give it a *particular* thing to chew on instead of another, safer, thing that is your choice. I just really hope that your pet doesn't become a statistic like Lady did.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Splintering etc won't happen with RAW bones.
Really? :bash:

OMG OXYGEN GIVES YOU CANCER! EVERYONE STOP BREATHING!

Food: Necessary for survival. Very rare choking hazard, especially in dogs and cats.

Bones: Entertainment for animals. Not required for survival, significantly more risk than food.

The rib bones case happened just a few months ago. There have been others that have required surgical removal due to bones obstructing intestines, bone splinters lacerating the throat, a cat at my old work that also died from perforation because of chicken bones, etc. Problems from chewing on bones are not all that rare.

However, if YOU want to risk a multi-thousand dollar surgery, and the potential death of your pet to give it a *particular* thing to chew on instead of another, safer, thing that is your choice. I just really hope that your pet doesn't become a statistic like Lady did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Food = Necessary for survival. Very rare choking hazard, especially in dogs and cats
Raw bones = food.
BARF diet = feeding raw bones
feeding raw bones = good for dogs and cats
Nice equation ;)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Let's play a game. It's called "looking at previous posts".

Splintering etc won't happen with RAW bones.

Oh look. I never said anything about raw bones. I said cooked bones. I also mentioned chicken bones because the ribs can still splinter or be swallowed in larger than ideal chunks. I've seen a cat with inch long bits of chicken bone in their intestine. They were lucky it didn't obstruct. I mentioned rib bones because it's too easy for them to swallow a large chunk even if raw. And in the case of COOKED rib bones, they are a splinter fest.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Let's play a game. It's called "looking at previous posts".

Oh look. I never said anything about raw bones. I said cooked bones. I also mentioned chicken bones because the ribs can still splinter or be swallowed in larger than ideal chunks. I've seen a cat with inch long bits of chicken bone in their intestine. They were lucky it didn't obstruct. I mentioned rib bones because it's too easy for them to swallow a large chunk even if raw. And in the case of COOKED rib bones, they are a splinter fest.

....Attitude much?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.