Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

Ok, I have a bosc....obviously....who has been kept on newspaper for the past 6 ish months, because I started to get paranoid about impaction from the beech chippings. Anyhow......I was wondering what people use for their savs for substrate. He is a sub adult by the way....

I was thinking along the lines of carpet tiles or that repti-carpet stuff, because Im still paranoid....lol :lol: But Id like to try something he'd enjoy more, like soil. If i did try soil, which do I get and where from?

Iv never really been one for having substrate, for any of my reptiles really....my snakes are on kitchen towels/newspaper, my geckos used to be too.....My paranoia is probably completely unfounded but meh.... I like to be cautious!

I just get the impression the lil bugger would like a bit of a dig!

Thanks for any replies!

:D :D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
they really love to dig, you can use coir and sand mixed, just make sure the coir has no additives. a big deep viv with a foot or so of sustrate is ideal, or again if you have a big viv put a big tub of soil in for it to dig about in, chuck some moreos in the soil as well to encourage natural behavior, and stop them getting lazy and chubby :)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
pixie_bex said:
now he has a quilt!!!!

Do you sleep on the aspen now?? lol
lol no he free roams one of the bedrooms and even though he has a choice of soil and his own hides he chooses to sleep under the bed on a folded up quilt :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
he's actually under the wardrobe right now, he also likes squashing up behind the radiator, turnd off ofcourse.

he's silly

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey,

Right Iv put him on a soil and sand mix, and he looks great, seems to be enjoying it!

One thing though, when he digs and does whatever else he does in the soil, will it be a problem when it gets around his mouth and licks his lips? I dont want him getting any problems or whatever! I know Im paranoid, you dont need to tell me that! :lol: :oops:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
don never had any problems on his, sometimes bits of root got stuck but he just shook them out eventually, they're really clever animals, when don was on chips he's spit the chips out before swallowing the mouse, very clever!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
We keep our savvy on soil, to be honest she doesnt dig a lot, just goes swimming then rolls around in the dirt and kakes a mess, then swims and takes a crap.
she gets the soil all over her mouth and licks her lips also, I don't think impaction is a problem with soil...atleast not likely, we certainely aint had any probs, she craps once a day without fail :)

When I clean the viv I may mix fresh soil with sand, im a little undecided, or I may go for a clean substrate like lino for half the viv..the half where the water is... and soil heaped up the other end, i dunno really :S

Dean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts