Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:welcome: Hi guys, Im going to be building a large enclosure (viv) for my bosc and Im unsure really how to go about it ive got a little idea of what i would like to do, but Id like to hear from others that have monitors.
I know the size requirments they need as adults this is not a problem. I would like to know what size vivs people are using?, how they heat a large viv?, what they have put inside the viv for decoration? and how to actually go about building the structure? any pics of set-ups and designs and any tips on anything ive missed would be greatly appreciated.
sorry if alot of this has been asked before, I done a search on the forum before hand and couldnt find anything relevant.
cheers for looking:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
:welcome: Hi guys, Im going to be building a large enclosure (viv) for my bosc and Im unsure really how to go about it ive got a little idea of what i would like to do, but Id like to hear from others that have monitors.
I know the size requirments they need as adults this is not a problem. I would like to know what size vivs people are using?, how they heat a large viv?, what they have put inside the viv for decoration? and how to actually go about building the structure? any pics of set-ups and designs and any tips on anything ive missed would be greatly appreciated.
sorry if alot of this has been asked before, I done a search on the forum before hand and couldnt find anything relevant.
cheers for looking:2thumb:
hi m8 right
viv size. i would go for a min of 8x3x3 but 8x4x4 is beter mine is in a 8x2.5x2 at the min but im geting a biger one soon

heat
i just use 2 par38 halogen bulbs on a dimmer stat i dont need night heating as my reptile room is heatid but you minght need to use a tube heater or a ahs heater for night heat

inside the viv
you dont wont to be puting a lot of plant and things like that in a boscs viv as thay will just get trashed youwill just need some big logs and rock and a verl large water dish i use a cat liter (one for pound land a he brakes them :lol2:)

i will see if i can find a good pic in a bit:2thumb:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi m8 right
viv size. i would go for a min of 8x3x3 but 8x4x4 is beter mine is in a 8x2.5x2 at the min but im geting a biger one soon

heat
i just use 2 par38 halogen bulbs on a dimmer stat i dont need night heating as my reptile room is heatid but you minght need to use a tube heater or a ahs heater for night heat

inside the viv
you dont wont to be puting a lot of plant and things like that in a boscs viv as thay will just get trashed youwill just need some big logs and rock and a verl large water dish i use a cat liter (one for pound land a he brakes them :lol2:)

i will see if i can find a good pic in a bit:2thumb:
Hi krox, Thanks for the quick reply:2thumb:
I was thinking about making a 8x4x4 sized viv but wasnt sure about the rest lol, i got a few more questions now lol hope you dont mind:blush:.
par38 halgogen bulbs,
are they the best to use for basking bulbs? also where do i get them from B&Q maybe? Im not very good with electrics also, how would i wire the bulbs up? do i just use a simple light fitting and hang them from the top of the viv?
tubular heater or ahs heater.
which do you recomend to use, which is more efficient? ive just had a quick read about them the ahs seems better, Id have to use a 500w 1 for 8X4X4 tank wouldnt I? or would it be better to buy a 4ft tube heater and put it on a dimmin stat? would both of these will need addition guards?
decor
I wasnt thinking of plants ive got a smallish bosc atm and i know how destuctive they can be lol. I was thinkin of raised basking spots and ramps so he can have another level. what do you think?
Thanks alot for your help alreaddy nd in advanced lol:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi krox, Thanks for the quick reply:2thumb:
I was thinking about making a 8x4x4 sized viv but wasnt sure about the rest lol, i got a few more questions now lol hope you dont mind:blush:.
par38 halgogen bulbs,
are they the best to use for basking bulbs? also where do i get them from B&Q maybe? Im not very good with electrics also, how would i wire the bulbs up? do i just use a simple light fitting and hang them from the top of the viv?
tubular heater or ahs heater.
which do you recomend to use, which is more efficient? ive just had a quick read about them the ahs seems better, Id have to use a 500w 1 for 8X4X4 tank wouldnt I? or would it be better to buy a 4ft tube heater and put it on a dimmin stat? would both of these will need addition guards?
decor
I wasnt thinking of plants ive got a smallish bosc atm and i know how destuctive they can be lol. I was thinkin of raised basking spots and ramps so he can have another level. what do you think?
Thanks alot for your help alreaddy nd in advanced lol:2thumb:
ok cool

yes you can get par38 bulbs in B&Q and yes thay work grate for a basking spot as for a fiting if younot a 100% on the electrics i would go for 1 or 2 or even 3 in of these in a 8x4x4
http://www.superpetsdirect.com/products/T%2dRex-Ceramic-Reptile-Light-Fitting.html
thay will work fine for par38 bulbs

i would go for the ahs heater bit more expensive but defo worth it and yes you would defoneed a gard

and yes raised platform would look good and work very well fora basking spot it works good for a hide under it but as i sed big logs always look goodin viv like this

glad to help m8 i will be wotching out for the pics when you have bilt it:2thumb:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cool

yes you can get par38 bulbs in B&Q and yes thay work grate for a basking spot as for a fiting if younot a 100% on the electrics i would go for 1 or 2 or even 3 in of these in a 8x4x4
http://www.superpetsdirect.com/products/T%2dRex-Ceramic-Reptile-Light-Fitting.html
thay will work fine for par38 bulbs

i would go for the ahs heater bit more expensive but defo worth it and yes you would defoneed a gard

and yes raised platform would look good and work very well fora basking spot it works good for a hide under it but as i sed big logs always look goodin viv like this

glad to help m8 i will be wotching out for the pics when you have bilt it:2thumb:
oh mate ur a legand thanks alot!:2thumb::no1: my mate is a sparky so he could help out with the all the wiring, if i ask nicely lol, but i will propbably just get 3 fittings from the link you posted (thanks 4 that by the way brilliant) Im gunna get a ahs heater defo. It might be more expensive but you get what you pay for really :) where in the viv would you recomend fixing the ahs heater? also would i need any underfloor (under the substrate) heating such as heat mats or heat cables? as for the raised platform im only gunna have it as a basking spot so he can also hide under it and not take up much room, I might go 9 or even 10ft x 4 x 4 so i have enough space for massive logs and rocks because i really like the natural look and to many platforms my look a bit OTT lol.
what do you think of puttin a small / medium sized molded pond into the viv for him to bath in? also any ideas on building the structure of the viv?
Thanks very much for all your help mate much appreciated:2thumb: i will keep you updated on the viv build, I probably start a thread on it lol, be nearer to when santa visits him tho :lol2::2thumb:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
my bosc viv is 8x3x3 and has a 5 foot tube heater for background temps and a 160w solar glo heat and uv for basking.
the tube heater is boxed in and on a pulse stat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
looks like a sick custom job, nice bosc

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
nice viv and bosc m8 but you must have a idea what you whant in your tank:2thumb:.
I do have a little idea as ive previously posted but ive never built a large enclosure before and id like to get any ideas and tips before i make it. The bosc wont be goin in the viv for a while to, so it gives me a chance to everything perfect.
you got any ideas?

Oh yea i know i shud place the ahs heater in the warm end but should it be near the floor or up high anyone?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
has any one else got any cool and unusual ideas i could use?:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Would also like to add what do you guys use for UV in those big enclosures. I think UV is essential for a bosc and mine has his for 12 hours a day and is very happy active monitor. I also building a viv, its built just got to put the stuff in it lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would also like to add what do you guys use for UV in those big enclosures. I think UV is essential for a bosc and mine has his for 12 hours a day and is very happy active monitor. I also building a viv, its built just got to put the stuff in it lol
my plan is to use a 10.0 tube at the top of the viv just for lighting as not much of the uv will reach the bottom of the viv and then hang a few 10.0 compact bulbs dwn in the basking site. I might put 1 in the cool end to. what yu rekon?

·
Registered
603 Posts
mine is in a 3x2x2 and has one hanging down about 10 inches from bottom. Im not sure about the bigger viv as of yet, i never had to put UV in a tank this big. My pet shop said something about a UV reader and something else was gf that talked to them lol

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
i use a 4ft 10.0uv tube along the back of the viv about 15in up

as for the ahs hater i would put it at the top of the middle of the viv with the stat probb in the cool end of the viv

·
Registered
126 Posts
At the moment no.e has the bedroom just hanging a heat bulb in the corner if the room and have stuck a large heat mat in the corner aswell for at night

He loves it has a bask then runs round the room then goes back for a bask lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i use a 4ft 10.0uv tube along the back of the viv about 15in up

as for the ahs hater i would put it at the top of the middle of the viv with the stat probb in the cool end of the viv
can the bosc come into contact with the tube tho mate with it that low down? I wouldnt wont him to be able to break it.

thanks for the ahs heater advice, is that where most people place theirs?

cheers mate:2thumb:

·
Registered
239 Posts
hello m8 i would use a ceramic 150w or 250 for the night time to keep him warm at night( use a bulb gard) and for daytime i would use 100w/or 150w infia red heat bulb and and a spot bulb 150w. its you viv thou m8 but good luck with it. :2thumb: :lol2:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hello m8 i would use a ceramic 150w or 250 for the night time to keep him warm at night( use a bulb gard) and for daytime i would use 100w/or 150w infia red heat bulb and and a spot bulb 150w. its you viv thou m8 but good luck with it. :2thumb: :lol2:
sound mate thanks for the suggestions: victory:, the only thing i wouldnt be using was a ceramic bulb, i was planning to use the ahs heater to control night temps.
I like the idea of having a infa red heat bulb with the basking bulbs i might use that. :2thumb::lol2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts