Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi everyone I am looking for ideas in my baby bosc monitor vivarium it is about 4 inches in size

Hi, in all seriousness this is urgent, you already have the monitor so a suitable enclosure should have been in place beforehand ( true).
Can you put a couple of photos up of the current one and say what the conditions are? The only way to care for them is to make sure they are fully supported from day one, less than that so often results in failure, this is the most vulnerable time of their lives.
I will be more than happy to help with advise, it`s not rocket science, mostly just common sense.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
Hi, in all seriousness this is urgent, you already have the monitor so a suitable enclosure should have been in place beforehand ( true).
Hear hear! - I don't have any experience in this species, but that first line of your post is so true for any animal.... It's still amazes me that in this day and age when the internet is so readily available that people don't do their research before getting the reptile....

·
Registered
278 Posts
As an adult they will need an 8x4x4 minimum, decent depth of soil, large very hot basking site so multiple lamps. Very high levels of UV, so again, multiple lamps.

A juvenile will need this but you could scale it down, I would buy a 6x2x2 for now, 100w halogen on a stat, couple of 12% T5 lamps.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
As an adult they will need an 8x4x4 minimum, decent depth of soil, large very hot basking site so multiple lamps. Very high levels of UV, so again, multiple lamps.

A juvenile will need this but scaled down, I would buy a 6x2x2 for now, 100w halogen on a stat, couple of 12% T5 lamps.

Hi, rehousing can be extremely stressful, it`s also more expensive for the keeper, in which case it`s recommended to start with the "adult sized" enclosure even for a hatchling. They can grow very quickly in captivity when fully supported and can become sexually mature within a few months.
Too many people impulse buy this species, most fail in a relatively short time because conditions are so often inferior at the most vulnerable time if their lives.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I didn't mean to suggest it was necessary to use a smaller enclosure, just that you could if necessary. Edited my post a bit to make it clearer

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
Guys I think you are wasting your time discussing this as it's been 4 days since the OP post the question - Just seems to be another one of the single post new members that the forum is attracting these days

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Photobucket - Internet Explorer 04_05_2021 19_34_38.png
Photobucket - Internet Explorer 04_05_2021 19_34_38 (2).png
Guys I think you are wasting your time discussing this as it's been 4 days since the OP post the question - Just seems to be another one of the single post new members that the forum is attracting these days
I think we are wasting our time with the OP but maybe someone else will see the thread and get some useful info from it...
This is an example of what`s required in an enclosure for Varanus exathematicus, and it`s perfectly acceptable to house from a hatchling onwards...It measures 8L x 4W x 4H (feet).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts