Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

can someone please give me a quick comparrison between the Bosc and the Nile monitors

someone i know - a novice - was looking into getting a Bosc and a petshop, not having any, sold him a nile as "quite similar" with no further info or comment other than "enjoy your lizard"

this dont seem right.
doesn't keeping a nile require a DWA liscence in the UK
and i am of the mindset the nile is almost 3 x the size of a bosc

help and advice pls
i have given mine but need some further input pls

thanx
Lynx

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
hi all

can someone please give me a quick comparrison between the Bosc and the Nile monitors

someone i know - a novice - was looking into getting a Bosc and a petshop, not having any, sold him a nile as "quite similar" with no further info or comment other than "enjoy your lizard"

this dont seem right.
doesn't keeping a nile require a DWA liscence in the UK
and i am of the mindset the nile is almost 3 x the size of a bosc

help and advice pls
i have given mine but need some further input pls

thanx
Lynx

No niles aren't dwa:rotfl:, they are chalk and cheese as far as looks and temperaments, niles are pretty evil as a whole, ive kept them before, not sure how you could get them confused, niles have the more normal long face of a monitor(among a milliuon other differences), where as boscs are the least monitor looking monitor, if that makes sense, niles are usually over 6ft in length(well usually between 6-7ft as a rule) where as boscs never usually reach that size usually topping out at 5ft for a large one

the shop confusing the two or saying they are similar, is way way of the mark

bosc

nile

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Niles do not need DWA.

Niles in my experience are a lot harder to tame, do get about twice the length sometimes but aren't as chunky, they have the slender monitor look about them more than boscs (who always look a little chubby to me!) A nile is a lot more than a bosc at the end of the day, and is unlikely to make a good "pet" no matter how hard you try.

I would suggest he takes it back if he is not prepared for all the work of a nile - they really are very different to boscs.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Niles do not need DWA.

Niles in my experience are a lot harder to tame, do get about twice the length sometimes but aren't as chunky, they have the slender monitor look about them more than boscs (who always look a little chubby to me!) A nile is a lot more than a bosc at the end of the day, and is unlikely to make a good "pet" no matter how hard you try.

I would suggest he takes it back if he is not prepared for all the work of a nile - they really are very different to boscs.

yeah, i took on an adult nile as a rehome, guess why, yup it was large and aggressive, just like every other one ive come into contact with:rotfl:

Its not a name ive heard for a while, i remember when niles were as common as beardies:rotfl:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
yeh i would take it back and swap for a bosc if they have nt got the time or space to house an adult

i really want a baby nile so i can tame it lol ppl might say impossible but nuthing is out of reach i will do it one day

luke

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
yeh i would take it back and swap for a bosc if they have nt got the time or space to house an adult

i really want a baby nile so i can tame it lol ppl might say impossible but nuthing is out of reach i will do it one day

luke

if i had a pound for everytime i heard that:Na_Na_Na_Na::rotfl:

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Just inform him of the viv requirements for an adult nile. thats key as that (other than the agressiveness) is the main difference.

Mason

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
some pet shops will say anything to make a sale, heard about one telling someone a burm wont get over 10 foot

I would seriuosly get your mate to take it back, he is getting himself into something he wont be able to handle, especially being a novice.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
a Nile is a terrible choice for a beginer. they are not DWA, but they probably should be, they can and will do a lot of damage as adults and are generaly considered "untamable". obviously there are acceptions but as a whole they are far more highly strung and far more aggressive than a bosc. it is very irisponsable of the pet shop to sell a lizard like that on the grounds that they did, although unfortunetly not that unusual.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dear oh dear...A petshop selling a Nile Monitor to a novice?!. No wonder the anti's want the trade in herptiles outlawed, and with incidents like this you can't really blame them!. No offence to the friend but i feel very sorry for this Varanid and what kind of life it'll have. That reptile shop acted incredibly irresponsibly and would be shut down in a flash if I had my way.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
How irresponsible of the pet shop!! It's like a post I read somewhere the other day - the child wanted a beardie but unfortunately they didn't have any so offered him a bosc instead - and the parents thought "oh well, it's still a lizard ..." :whistling2:

I personally would advise against even a bosc as a first time monitor and yes, I'm with whoever said niles should be DWA. TBH if monitors like savs and niles (so easily obtainable and so cheap) cost a lot more money you wouldn't get so many impulse buys and abandoned monitors - but there - I'm rambling/ranting now.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah I agree with all thats been said, Niles should be on the DWA, I would like to know what the pet shop recommended in the way of set up, housing, lighting etc? can you find out? Niles basically need a whole room to themselves. Might be worth telling your friend to sign up to this forum A. so he can pick up knowledge about a variety of species before he buys and B. he might be able to rehome it and recoup some cash! How old is he? Seems odd that he would buy any lizard without even a google?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi guys an gals
thanks
it is as i advised him too - take it back
as for requirements -- they told him NOTHING

he got onto them in a big way and really had a go at them
telling them they are putting this animal at risk
not because he will be a bad owner
but an unknowing owner
and a bunch of other stuff

they will swap it for a pair of young adult spiney tailed iggy's

so he and i discussed that too
and i gave some advice on that front and this petshop

thanks all for your valuable inputs
much appreciated

Lynx

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry i have not been on here for quite a while
i will get the name and post it

·
Registered
650 Posts
i dont think that is a good idea the mods will get in trouble for slander you cant put the name of the shop in question on here

i rember what happned last time

o god ww3 nearly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts