Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have 2 royal pythons. One of them is a 2 month old and he is very active all the time. Problem is i am getting slightly worried about the amount of rubbing he is doing against the side of the tank. I am aware that most snakes do it to a point as i have had snakes for years. He has not started to injur himself yet.

He is about two foot long in a tank that is 3 foot. heating is fine and humidity is fine.

So i ask is this normal or should i be concerned?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
my lot seem to do that from time to time but never seem to do any harm or injure themselfes....be good to see what replies come back on this??

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like i say he just seems to do it quite a bit... personally i think its because he is small and wants to see the world.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
my large female used to try and push the lock off her viv on a regular basis but has since given up on her bid for freedom

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi my royal just started to do this i raised the humidity a bit by sriting water up the sides of the viv not to much mind, and she has appered to have stopped doing this

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
restlessness from what i have experienced most often is caused by two things. one is that they are hungry and want to feed. roaming, looking for a meal but are trapped in a viv. i never saw this with ball pythons but it is common for many snakes. my brb's always let you know it time to eat.

the other is that something isn't right in their setting. they are uncomfortable for some reason and are trying to go to a nicer place but can't. they tried climbing and nothing worked so many times they as a last resort, try to burrow. usually the snout in a corner or something. i've seen them strain really hard to try to push through the barrier that they think will lead them to a more comfortable place. sometimes they give up sometimes not...did i mention that they aren't rocket scientists??

but now, it may not be anything wrong at all. snakes can just get restless. a mature snake will get antsy when it's breeding time but you have a baby. i would try lowering the temp a few notches and see if it settles and stops this. they can really mess their face up if it gets to be bad. you can change humidity as was said and see. what i do know is that if it's the temp that the snake doesn't like, it's always too high. cold snakes don't get restless. also cut the lights... it's a process of elimination........ i may be completely wrong. i just know what i've experienced. without actully seeing your set-up, it's hard to know what may be going on.....at any rate, i'd start with the temps. your ball python may not have read the care sheet. this post may help you figure it out if it keeps up............no, probibly not!!:2thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts