Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

This is a possibility we may have to encounter with the Royals we are adopting.
Just wanted to ask if any royal owners have had to do this and if so how do you get through the skull?

Cheers

H

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Ive not had to do this with my royal.. tried with one of my non feeders but it didn't work.. and all I did was use a hammer and a nail and bashed a hole through the skull.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill look forward to that then :?
Hopefuly I wont have too.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
NNY said:
Ive not had to do this with my royal.. tried with one of my non feeders but it didn't work.. and all I did was use a hammer and a nail and bashed a hole through the skull.
you're evil!!! lol
i used a needle and popped loads of little holes through

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
And Im evil?? I do it once.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry, but I've never heard of this and am just curious! What does it mean/do?

Thx
Matt

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I used to squeeze the heads till juice came outta the nose that got my royals striking at the mice!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andyj5447 said:
I used to squeeze the heads till juice came outta the nose that got my royals striking at the mice!
Grose :shock:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont really fancy having to do any of them, will having to call in a willing friend!

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Matt W said:
Sorry, but I've never heard of this and am just curious! What does it mean/do?

Thx
Matt
If you've got a non-eater you 'brain' the food - ie expose the brain, so the snake gets the brains scent, and hopefully thinks 'mmm yummy mouse!' and eats it :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just stab them between the eyes with a screwdriver and squeeze a little bit out :shock:

First thing to try with royals though is warming the food up so that they can "see" it via their heat pits. Just defrost in the normal way, then put the food in a plastic bag and put the bag into a container of warm water for 10 minutes.

Don't use water that's too hot - cooked mouse isn't the nicest fragrance to fill your house with :sick:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have also found that somtimes if you defrost in water the scent can get lost/weakend.Try leaving them to thaw overnight and them raise the body temp with a hairdryer.Two important points to remember when using this method are 1) dont overheat as the smell is god-awfull
2) ask your girlfriend/wife/mum before,as my wife takes exeption to her nicky clarke contraption being used for heating mice,strange woman!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I also usually defrost using the bag-in-water method but just using luke warm water - then change to warmer water to warm it up.

My royal definitely seems to prefer the food defrosted dry so that, as simonc said, the scent isn't lost.
However, my plains rat snake seems to prefer hers defrosted wet, and sometimes offered wet, so worth trying if other methods don't work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
braining is better than laseration in the body as the snake will bite the head where the smell is coming from the brain, and the head will fit snuggly into the snakes mouth and he might be encouraged to eat.

mate i had to brain a few times over hte years and my easiest way was to just knife a part of the mouse's head off and use the then to crack the skull and then prod out the brain with the tip of the kinfe.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
eeji said:
whatever u do, make sure it is LUKEWARM water, not BOILING water u warm the mousie in - this is what happens if its too hot......

the little buggers explode! :sick:
:shock: thanks for that, its helped my curry go down a treat :?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts