Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I got a new Brazilian rainbow boa 3 weeks ago the person I bought from said he bites a lot so I let him settle and been handling the last week he’s nothing like my brb she’s ridiculously docile and dose t mind handling for long periods at all. I’ve only been doing about 5 minutes handling as he kept pushing his head against me as if was just about to bite so I put him back but today he got me when tried to take him out haha quite a nasty one latched on for a good 10 minutes I just sat and waited for him to let go but I’ve read you can use hand sanitizer/ alcohol/ mouthwash to get to let go is that true ? And is it safe for the snake ? As I need to continue to try holding him to get used to me and realise I’m no threat. Any tips to get off safely when latches on would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
a little 50/50 isopropyl and water in a little spray bottle is handy for constant biters, if u can't simply unlatch them. remember snake teeth mostly curve back so pushing slightly forward and lifting the top jaw up will usually unhook them, unless their very determined and of a size where they have enough strength to "clamp" down. running them under the tap can often "shock them off" too.

what age/size is the BRB, Young rainbows can be very nervous, it can take them a while to learn u mean them no harm. a little hook to keep the head away can be a handy "teaching aid".

remember even litter mates can be polar opposites in temperament at birth so don't worry too much, its completely normal, some need more reassurance than others.

rgds
ed

Reactions: Jkopo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok cool I will give that a try if it does it again. He’s around 3 YO and about 4-5 foot so not that young and I’ve had my female since about 2 months and she’s 5 now but she was never as aggressive as this one, I think the last owner got bit a few times and stopped trying to handle it so it just thinks any hand is associated with food as when it bit and clamped on it was trying hard to constrict like I was prey lol but he was only fed 2 days ago. Thanks for the tips I think a hook is a good shout to try keep the head away for the time being. Cheers
a little 50/50 isopropyl and water in a little spray bottle is handy for constant biters, if u can't simply unlatch them. remember snake teeth mostly curve back so pushing slightly forward and lifting the top jaw up will usually unhook them, unless their very determined and of a size where they have enough strength to "clamp" down. running them under the tap can often "shock them off" too.

what age/size is the BRB, Young rainbows can be very nervous, it can take them a while to learn u mean them no harm. a little hook to keep the head away can be a handy "teaching aid".

remember even litter mates can be polar opposites in temperament at birth so don't worry too much, its completely normal, some need more reassurance than others.

rgds
ed

·
Registered
33,042 Posts
Dab of vodka, meths or surgical spirit on the snout will also make a biting snake let go. They don't like the smell of alcohol fumes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet I’ll keep a small bottle next to the viv and give it a try if it happens again cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dab of vodka, meths or surgical spirit on the snout will also make a biting snake let go. They don't like the smell of alcohol fumes.
Sweet il keep a small bottle next to the viv and give it a try if happens again. Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts