Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a beautiful Brazilian Rainbow Boa and have done lots of research on them but have had lots of different views on substrate. Which one is the best to use??

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was told to use orchid bark and it seems fine, looks nice too.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've used orchid bark, I like it, easy to clean and attractive, but I now use coconut husk, its a bit messier, but it expands in water, so retains loads, which equals less misting and a steadier humidity level for those who are lazy :whistling2: (like me.... ) and, it resists mould and reduces frequency of cleaning. Hey, I deserve freebies for that piece of promotion!

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i used leaves from my yard, nice clean oak and maple leaves mostly..ideal cover for them. they will just plow through it like in the wild. they love it! mine feel very secure in it. it wets and holds moistier but wicks and dries well. free and i wouldn't use anything else. just how i do things here!:whistling2:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've used orchid bark, I like it, easy to clean and attractive, but I now use coconut husk, its a bit messier, but it expands in water, so retains loads, which equals less misting and a steadier humidity level for those who are lazy :whistling2: (like me.... ) and, it resists mould and reduces frequency of cleaning. Hey, I deserve freebies for that piece of promotion!
yea your bounty:lol2:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys, for all that useful infomation. Will probably get the orchid bark... i was using chippings but they are cr*p...

Love the idea of the leaves though... will throw some of those in too
Thank you:no1:

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Love the idea of the leaves though... will throw some of those in too
Thank you:no1:
Just make sure they are clean : victory: last thing u wanna be doin is puttin leaves in with your snake if the cat has peed all over them or similar. Dunno what boiling would do, dunno if the leaves would hold together or just go crap after 5 mins in a pan?? Might be better to freeze them?

What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can only freeze them.. they turn to mulch if boiled...:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
nice one! how old is ur rainbow? n how long u had it? just got mine the other week, great wee thing, shes only 5/6 weeks old i think :flrt:there is a pic in the "your snakes" thread.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice one! how old is ur rainbow? n how long u had it? just got mine the other week, great wee thing, shes only 5/6 weeks old i think :flrt:there is a pic in the "your snakes" thread.

We think that she is about 4 years old. she is about 6' in length and beautiful. we've not had her long. she is a rescue... the person who had her was struggling and she was not feeding. she feeds perfectly now though... there are some pics on here. look for NEW...Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Going to look for yours now... lol

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I use the orchid bark but I do like the sound of the leaves........would look really cool i think.....my BRB boy is feb 07 and a real sweety, very inquisitiveand just so lovely to handle!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Another thing I noticed with the orchid bark is that it smells really nice once it's warmed up. I also use damp moss to help with the humidity. Keeping at around 85%, think this is ok.

·
Registered
683 Posts
ive been using aspen as its all my local shops sold and mising and changing pretty regularly and she seems to really like it, strangely though she has gone off her hide recently and spends a lot of time burrowing in her substrate.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
seems alot of people are using aspen... its is ok but with the added leaves, will look really cool

1 - 19 of 19 Posts