Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering getting a brazilian rainbow boa and have a couple of questions. I have read many care sheets and they arent much different from the other snakes i keep.

Im wondering what substate to use that will keep good humidity and not get mouldy quick, i use wooden chips for my corns but i find these get mouldy very quickly when wet. i use aspen shavings with the royal and this seems to fair better to humidity, will this be exceptable for a BRB.

I also wanted to know, will a Baby BRB be okay on a heat mat, im figuring yes as it will be a little difficult to get a ceramic bulb in a RUB lol but thought i better check anyway.

One more question, I have read on a care sheet that providing 4 hides is a good idea a wet and dry hide in each end of the viv, i wanted to know, the sphagnum moss that will be in the warm end of the viv will dry out, at the moment with my royal when this happens i replace it but is it okay to re soak it and use it for a little longer, i give all my vivs a full clean once a month would it be sufficent for me to replace the sphagnum moss once a month too.

Sorry this is so long, want to get everything right before i purchase a BRB.

Many thanks
Natalie

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I keep mine on kitchen roll, he has 1 moist hide and 1 warm hide. He is very rarely out of his moist hide! You can use orchid bark, but I prefer kitchen roll as can be cleaned very easily every week. The moist hide is positioned in the middle so he can go to the warmer end or the cooler end.

He is on a heatmat and doing very well with that as his heat source.

I have moss dottered around the RUB, I dont have to spray very often as the humidity stays up from his water bowl.

They are stunning and my BRB is my favourite snake, very friendly and fantastic feeding response.

Fantastic snake to own, and am on the look out for a female for breeding in the future!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks hillzi, just been through it and your right it does seem vdery good, very informative

Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hi a good bedding for a brb is forest floor by zoo med is light in colour so your brb will stand out on it more( but is more expensive than paper towel). As for the moss I change mine every other week and keep checking to make sure it's moist and not soiled. Apart from that agree with everyone else. Hope I jape been of some help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts