Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be an odd question but has anyone ever measured the breathing rate of their snake? I just had my Western hognose out and his breathing seemed a little fast to me so I counted, and his heart was beating about 30 times a minute. My corn snake's heart never seems to beat that fast (I can't get her out and check because she ate last night) but then, I've never counted hers.

What's about right, and does it vary from species to species? Could fast breathing be a symptom of an RI? Does their breathing rate increase when they're scared? He hasn't been handled much before so me picking him up might have scared him. Not sure if reptiles breath faster when they're afraid like mammals do.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Yes snakes will breathe faster/heavier when scared.

It's not indicative of an RI. RI symptoms include:
Laboured breathing
wheezing
snot/mucus bubbles from nose/mouth

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew, that's a relief. I've been worrying about RIs because before he came to me he had a heat mat inside his glass tank without a thermostat that he slept under... constantly exposed to 110F temps, I don't know how he survived. I booked a vet appointment on Tuesday just to check him over anyway.

I know I probably sounded like a complete idiot in my first post but I don't like assuming that if a mammal does something a reptile will to - that's how you get some people thinking power feeding must be good.
Thanks for the advice :)

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
That's ok. You should notice that after you put the hoggie back in the viv it's breathing will return to normal after a while.
Also it's normally too low temps that cause RI's among other infections.

have you got a stat sorted yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts